• Register Today It's free!

LOWERING ... an 01 X sport

delussional77

Reaction score
City, State
avon, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
I know this is an off-roading site, but it's the best site i know of for explorers, so hopefully you'll have some advice. I'm only looking to lower the front of my 2001 explorer sport about 2 inches. I'm doing this because i compete in car audio and all my audio equipment has caused the rear to sag a good 2 inches. I'm debating whether to get better shocks/suspension for the back or just lower the front to match. I think i'd prefer to lower the front because the lower stance looks cooler (to me). I was wondering if anybody could tell me what i'd need to do a basic lowering of 2 or 3 inches. Hopefully it will be easy and not too expensive. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to do a torsion twist(TT), get some camber adjusters, and the blocks obviously. The most expensive part would be the alignment, assuming you do everything yourself.

Do a search for TT Should come up with a few things. :p

oh, Welcome by the way. :)

what kind of price tag should i be looking at for this? I did a search on lowering and came up with some of the stuff. Any reputable sites to purchase the equipment to do this?

all you need to do TT is a good wrench and some time

http://stlouismtb.tripod.com/loweringwriteup.html

after searching around i found this....seems like it's JUST what i was looking for haha. Anyone know what kind of price-tag i'm looking at this? Or for a TT?

i'm still searching around on the TT (torsion twist right), but there are A LOT of threads, any that you can pick out that are the best? thanks.

all you need to do the TT is crank the tosion bar's down..this is FREE..it's the alignment that's gonna cost you

how much for alignment....sorry if i sound like a noob, this is the first thing i've ever done to my explorer that's not interior related. Appreciate the help, now i have a goal for my spring break.

around here it's about $100..give or take in your area..

not a prob..we where all new at once you have to learn somwhere right?

that's awesome, how far can i lower the X before it becomes dangerous or i need to actually get replacement equipment? I'm definilty glad i found this place, much more helpeful then a few other sites i had found. I'll probably stick around in the audio section and offer up my expertise there. Here are some pics of the my explorer

you can lower it about 3" i think..but you might have to wait for a 2wd guy to come along..im more off-road so im don't know much about how far you can go..but i think you can take the torsion bar bolt all the way out to get about 3" of drop..i think..lol

BTW NICE truck!!!!

if you don't mind im gonna post a few of your pic's for you

You are probably only going to be able to get 2" out of the tortion bars.

another infinity lover... they truly are some awesome drivers. ;)

nice ride man

Blocks - Probably around $30
Camber adjusters - $50 for both sides
Alignment - anywhere from $50(around here) to $90
Some places charge more if you have bigger rims :rolleyes:

So somewhere in between $130 to $170 If you take care of all the installation.

Couple of guys here have had the shops install the cams at no charge, a couple other guys have ended up with $200 dollar alignments :eek: .

As long as you take care of the alignment you're suspension part shouldn't suffer. The parts may last a little bit less though.

Al, are you going to say that in every thread or what? At least re-word your statement.

really appreciate the advice everyone, i'm going around today to try and find good quotes on alignment and the options. I've never done it befor so i'll see how far i can get before i have to get it done "right". Haha, thanks though!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

been reading up and getting tons of useful information. I am wondering though, for lowering i back the bolts out? or tighten? And i'm only going to back-out/tighten a few times...not excessively because it makes a big difference quickly right?

i'm sure i will be checking the adjustmenst with every turn so i'll be able to answer my own question, but just wondering for now.

Back