Lowering my 96 X-Sport

mmrusa

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
Hey,
I'm considering lowering my 96 X-Sport. I think 3 inches +/- should be about right. What experiences has anyone had in lowering theirs?
I've done the lifted 4x4 route in the past with my Bronco, now it's time for something different.
I'm looking for a better more sporty ride and less body roll without looking like a typical lowered SUV (no bling-bling wheels).

Any feedback would be appriciated.

Thx:redexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your in luck, its the easiest thing in the world to do. do a search for torsion lowering, or 2" drop for under 150, or something along those lines and you'll get all the info you need about how to do it. you will probably only want to lower it as much as the non-flipped torsion bar will allow so that you have the performance you are looking for, and that should call for around 2" blocks in the rear to even it out. good luck with your truck! here's a pic of mine with a two inch drop (not a sport though)

Attachments

• sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 165

hope those rims aren't too bling bling... lol

No, the wheels look good. How does it ride?

the ride is great, but i upgraded my shocks. many people including myself lower their trucks then get the shocks later after they decide the rides not good enough. anyways, my point is that you may as well plan on buying new shocks from the start. also, you will want to upgrade your rear sway bar asap. the sway bar will really improve the handling.

Thanks. I am planning on either Tokico's or KYB, but I am leaning towards the Tokicos.

and you can upgrade the front swaybar with junkyard stuff. get a front bar off of a 98-up. makes a big difference.

Thanks for the input.
I'm upgrading my ignition system this weekend (Nology wires and Beru plugs), the suspension will be next.
My Exploder just turned 100K miles last week, I think it's broken-in now!

Sorry to change the topic here, but if you're spending alot of money on that ignition stuff you're throwing it away. The OE ignition components are very high quality.

You could take the money you're spending on it and buy some ventvisors or something :D

Vent visors, why didn't I think of that? LOL

the factory wires are adequate, but they are far from performance wires, and BTW, I sell Nology wires, so I get a "deal"

i have upgraded wires and plugs too. i'm just wondering what type of plugs you are using, platinum? one point, two point, four point? copper?

I'm using the Beru Silverstone plugs. They are silver, not platinum etc.
check em out:
http://nology.com/silver.html

with the exception of the Denso Iridium plugs, they are one of the few plugs that can handle the spark from the Nology wires.

just wondering because since you sell the wires i thought you would have some insight into things. those sound like they would be nice, but i really don't know anything about them. for me, i felt a noticeable increase in power when i switched from the platinums to the copper electrodes, i know they won't last as long, but they seem to make things run better.

Back