Questions for V8 swap on 96 X Sport?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions for V8 swap on 96 X Sport??

joeg-pt

Reaction score
City, State
Mountaintop, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Premium Spo
Hello Everyone

I have a 1996 Explorer Premium Sport (2 door). For the past few weeks I have noticed an antifreeze smell. A mechanic took a look for me and told me that both heads were leaking Left side more so that the right. She has about 80,000 miles and everything is orginal. I was told that to repair the leaking gaskets could be expensive and if the the heads are damaged I might need a new engine? I thought a new engine lets make it a V8 then...

I've search this forum and few other places, and found information more for the gen1 explorers and ranges. I wondering how that compares to an engine swap for a gen2 (96 Explorer).

I'm looking for a general swap- (not a race truck, or for off road use etc), not a drastic conversion. Any help or specific information will be helpful-I'm not a mechanic by any stretch.

What will I need? (this is what I've read-please correct me if its wrong or a better idea exists)
1. V8 engine= 302 from an explorer or mustang works 96 to (?)?
2 Transmission= can I use the transmission already in the 96 explorer or do I use a different one?
3. wiring harness= It has to be a harness for the v8, anything else?
4. a swap kit (motor mount, different oil pan etc). The forum mentioned L&L Products, Advance Adaptors, etc. The web sites look more for off road use and has items for Bronco (not specifically exploreres)?
5. Is there anything else that needs to be converted?

Two things worry me. The v8 was not an option for the 2 door sport explorers, and I have a switch to change for 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive etc; where the V8 were AWD (I think). Is this an issue with the conversion?

Any information for the V8 swap for a 96 2 door explorer will be greatly appriciated. A referral to previous post, anyone have a guide or even knows a mechanic in Northeastern Pennsylvania that can perform this swap.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a 4.0L SOHC

I just did a V8 Swap in my 96 Explorer. It is a massive pain. It's much, much cheaper to find an explorer with a SOHC V6 and bolt that in. With the V8, you basically need to buy a V8 explorer and use all the parts in it, and for that, you might as well just drive it.

All you need for the SOHC is the wiring harness and the computer; it bolts right into your current transmission and has about the same horsepower as the 5.0L (V8: 215 vs V6: 210), and almost the same torque (V8: 270 vs V6: 255)

------------------------------
1996 Sport, 5.0L V8, 3 inch body lift w/ 295-75r16 BFG AT's, custom class V hitch with winch and rear tire mount (stolen from Bro's Bronco II)

Thanks for the reply-Good Idea...

This is a good idea. I have been researching the V8 swap, and it does seem to be indepth

My 96 explorer is a 4 speed auto, and I know the later explorers were 5 speeds. Questions:
1. Will this be a problem, and how to correct it?
2 Is there a better SOHC engine year than another?

Thanks for the info

The 302 and V8 trans is far more reliable than the SOHC and the V6 trans.

If you are going to swap the engine due to reliability, don't waste time or money on the SOHC and the weak V6 trans. Do more research on the V8, and find as complete of a donor V8 Explorer as possible.

Tons of people have done it, simply imagine that your truck is a 4dr, the parts do not know the difference. You will nee a shorter driveshaft, that's a unique 2dr. part. I have a 99 SOHC 4WD Explorer, and when the time comes it will be rebuilt by swapping my spare V8 parts into it. Good luck,

Its really not that bad. It is a lot of work and can be time consuming, but its deffinetly worth it. I only spent $550 on the whole swap including the wrecked 98 Mountaineer. My truck was 4wd and is now AWD. These guys are right, its much easier to buy a whole truck and just swap the parts. There are a ton of small pieces and the wiring that you need. Plus you have something to refer to to see what parts are different. Good Luck!

joshua,
for whatever reason I missed your buildup--I havent seen a Sport V8 conversion before. Do u have any pics??

Sorry I missed the post but I got my inspiration from Erics thread as linked above. I regretfully didnt take any pics because I was in a hurry to get it done.

Back