Lowering options for a 4wd '03

Thanx SVT

Reaction score
City, State
Sussex, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT, '03 XLT
Hi guys,
I've got a '03 XLT with 4wd, and am looking to lower it 1.5-2.5 inches. I'm having trouble verifying what springs will work for 4wd Explorers (most of the application guides only address the 2wd Explorers)..

I'm interested in the Belltech springs, but I've heard that you can't get the camber back in check on the 4wd Explorers (even with camber adjusters).

Does anyone have any insight into using the Belltech springs on a 4wd Explorer?

If not, what other spring companies should I consider?

Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ground Force makes a set of springs for your Explorer. Lowers it 1.6".

Ground force does drop it 1.6"....but when the springs settle in, everyone claims it will really be close to a 2" drop. As for the camber adjusters, yes it will get them back in line.

asimp said:
Ground force does drop it 1.6"....but when the springs settle in, everyone claims it will really be close to a 2" drop. As for the camber adjusters, yes it will get them back in line.

the GF springs do lower it 1.6'' but no more than that, as for the camber adjusters i still havent been able to locate ones that will work for the BT springs, someone else on this forum found ones but they are only + or - one degree which wont be enough.....im swapping the old GF springs back in today

Thanks everyone for the info.

That's what I was worried about with the Belltech springs... I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the camber adjusted back to a reasonable amount.

Does anyone have any recommendations for camber adjusters?

02_ex_on_dubs-> One other quick question... I see you live in Boca. Did you do the springs yourself, or did you have a local shop install them?

naw i went over to my bro's house and we slapped em in, he's got a compressor, spring compressor, jack, and all the tools i needed...pretty close to 95 and hillsboro...

ford racing also makes lowering springs, I found a set on summits site

Yeah, I saw the Ford Motorsport springs on Summit's site. They have the same drop as the Ground Force springs, so I'm not sure if they're just relabled Ground Force springs sold by Ford Motorsport.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ford Motorsport springs?

What camber adjusters are you guys useing? I have seen bolts with a cam on the and washers.

i have the "ford racing" springs, they are ground force springs and actually say groundforce on them.

Thanks for the info on the Ford Racing springs. They have the same specs as the Groundforce springs, so I figured they were just relabled.

Now I just need to figure out what to do as far as camber adjusters go...

I've got a 2004 4x4 that I lowered 2.125" but cutting the springs. Took it to a good alignment shop and they got it back within factory specs. No other parts needed.

duckshovel said:
I've got a 2004 4x4 that I lowered 2.125" but cutting the springs. Took it to a good alignment shop and they got it back within factory specs. No other parts needed.

I'd be cautious doing that, from what I've read that's not all that safe. Depending on how you cut it you can mess with the integrity of the spring. For instance if you used an acetylene torch to cut it, the heat from cutting it will screw with the metal and it will compress differently or something like that

heating and cutting a spring changes the whole spring rate===not safe.....

I installed the Belltech springs on my 04 last week. It looks great and handles great. The camber is a little off, but I plan on taking it to a shop to fix it as best they can. It's not causing any major issues.

for the life of me I cannot understand why some onf you care to lower a 4wd heavy truck. I woudl assume if you wanted to lower something, you;d get a sports car, 4x4 trucks are generally lifted not lowered. I can mayeb see a 2wd truck lowered, some look darn nice, but an explorer? I personally think they look goofy lowered.

dkkne said:
for the life of me I cannot understand why some onf you care to lower a 4wd heavy truck. I woudl assume if you wanted to lower something, you;d get a sports car, 4x4 trucks are generally lifted not lowered. I can mayeb see a 2wd truck lowered, some look darn nice, but an explorer? I personally think they look goofy lowered.

Thank goodness we aren't all sheep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well not all of us want to go rock crawling, or even off roading.

If I could have found a 2WD 4.6 truck I would have got it. But seems 95% of these come with the V8 and 4WD.

Also I do like the idea of 4WD for nasty weather.

These trucks have a bad handling problem and there are two fixes, 20inch wheels with a lower profile tire, that took my 02 from a OMG She is going to tip over doing a simple lane change to now the only car I have that handles better is my 03 Crown Vic EX-COP P71 Car.

And the second from what I have read is to lower them.

And I personally think having all that space above the tires make these look like they are on their Tippy Toes.

So for all you rock crawlers and off roaders jack your truck to the sky, carry step latters to climb in and have fun slinging mud.

I will stay on the highway and love my lowered Day Tripper.

Rich

Back