Lowering options for a 4wd '03 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering options for a 4wd '03

Once I get some seat time in this 06 it will be lowered ABOUT 2 inches to improve daily ride and entry!!! It's 2wd and too tall to get in and out of without rolling off of the edge of the seat and too LOW to use the step board to "climb" (I'm 6'1") in so....a drop is perfect for it. Im NOT into the dragging the ars over bumps but SOME things can be improved on. I lowered my OLD 01 F150 4wd 4" after I bought it (loading up the 6,4,1.5 yr olds got old QUICK. Once lowered everyone could climb in just fine....fast forward 4 yrs....raised it 9" (from drop position) in 1 weekend with a set of 36's and a 4 inch suspension lift.

My question is regarding the lowering and the front rack. With the tie rods bolting in from the top of the spindle does lowering a couple inches create severe bump steer due to the really BAD angle of the tie rods?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I called BelTech and they said they ONLY TESTED their springs on a 2WD drive Explorer so only say they will fit a 2WD.

They also said they have not had any problem with the front springs being higher that the rear and that they have no complaint of having problems with camber adjustments, at least on record of foot notes.

I think I will install the fronts first to see and if needed drive on them to allow them to "settle in."

So I ordered 'Belltech 02-05 Explorer 2/2.5 Drop Lowering Kit 928' On eBay as it was the same cost and I can use my PayPal to pay for them.

Rich

So I called BelTech and they said they ONLY TESTED their springs on a 2WD drive Explorer so only say they will fit a 2WD.

They also said they have not had any problem with the front springs being higher that the rear and that they have no complaint of having problems with camber adjustments, at least on record of foot notes.

I think I will install the fronts first to see and if needed drive on them to allow them to "settle in."

So I ordered 'Belltech 02-05 Explorer 2/2.5 Drop Lowering Kit 928' On eBay as it was the same cost and I can use my PayPal to pay for them.

Rich
Let us know how it goes or if you ever get all 4 corners on it

Will do. As I replaced the front hubs I know they are the same as they had the splines for the drive shafts built in.

Rich

Well after my junkyard lookings yesterday. I was able to compare 05 and 06 models directly. So the FRONT struts are the SAME, same cartridge and same hieght, SO an 05 lowering spring SHOULD work for the 06+ FRONT.
The REAR is a bit different! The 05 strut is overall the same IDEA just different! The 05 rear strut lower bolt->lower spring perch is 6" with a 12 1/2" inch spring VS the 06 model @ 3" with a 15" spring. So if you were to put 05 rear SPRING on the 06 strut it would bottom out the strut cartridge....BUT that makes it easier!!!! because with TOO short of a spring means there is room there to put and adjustable sleeve assembly and lower the rear per needed (about 1 1/2") realizing that to achieve a 2" drop AT THE TIRE/FENDER area means you are only lowering the spring about 1 1/4". If and when I get to doing this I will probably take the STOCK 05 spring and CUT 1-2 coils OFF (yes making it shorter) to INCREASE it's spring rate (should increase from 400-->470..ish) AND make an adjustable sleeve assembly to be able to set the height. (might even be able to buy something...idk yet)

Rich
given this is only springs.....you could PROBABLY just swap to the 02-05 REAR STRUT assembly and be good (not sure if top mounting is the same)

Well in my case I bought lowering springs FOR a 03 2WD Explorer and I believe they will fit my 03 Ford 4WD.

As far as I can tell the only difference IS the drive axles being in place from the front drive, my 02 has the same hubs and they just lack these drive shafts.

I hope to report on my Cam Chains/guilds repairs, my 5R55 transmission up graded servos, and these lowering springs soon.

Rich

they should be fine as it takes the same strut...hence the long clearance area from the bottom of the cartridge--> mount. It will be a little more work to pull your struts compared to 2wd. I am working on an 06 which nobody lists anything but have been researching and believe I have it figured out. I do not understand why YET we can't put the 05 strut assembly on an 06 but will be delving into that soon. Unless there is something about the top mounting plate???...idk...YET

lol...didn't realize I was in the wrong forum.....oops I have a thread in the 06 started...lowering my 06!

No problem...been there done that...Good luck.

Rich

BIG UPDATE....they fit: Belltech 2.5 lower springs, and 2 inch lower springs fit and WORKS on a 03 4WD as I predicted.

Minor problem with the rear end camber and that takes a Camber correction kits. For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 Specialty Products Rear Alignment Camber Washer Kit

She rides great....I so love it new great CORRECT look.

Rich

red and blue 2 SM.jpg
IMG_9836.JPG

IF your thinking of doing them rent one of these: https://www.powerbuilt.com/.../strut-tool-strut-coil...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCyCQqCCk0

3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FHNCyCQqCCk0%2Fhqdefault.jpg

YOUTUBE.COM

Autozone here "rents" them, you buy it at $198.00 and when done "Return" it for a full refund.

This is the ONLY way to do coil springs, the old three clamps were down right dangerous, and I have seen them slip. This is great, (Clue Tony the Tiger voice...)

And for the camber problem: Yes For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 Specialty Products Rear Alignment Camber Washer Kit, ordered and will install next week. For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 Specialty Products Rear Alignment Camber Washer Kit | eBay

Rich

IF your thinking of doing them rent one of these: https://www.powerbuilt.com/.../strut-tool-strut-coil...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCyCQqCCk0

View attachment 426954
YOUTUBE.COM

Autozone here "rents" them, you buy it at $198.00 and when done "Return" it for a full refund.

This is the ONLY way to do coil springs, the old three clamps were down right dangerous, and I have seen them slip. This is great, (Clue Tony the Tiger voice...)

And for the camber problem: Yes For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 Specialty Products Rear Alignment Camber Washer Kit, ordered and will install next week. For Ford Explorer 2002-2005 Specialty Products Rear Alignment Camber Washer Kit | eBay

Rich
Looks good! Are the ball joints and everything around it stressed being 2.5 inches lower?

Back