LPG Conversion/Air Conditoning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LPG Conversion/Air Conditoning

Reaction score
City, State
Bridgwater Somerset
Year, Model & Trim Level
`97 XDS USA Spec.
My Import Ex has been concerted to run on LPG - the Prins system has been fitted. So far I am very pleased with it, but it is barely run in yet.

Today I put the air con on max, just to run it up since it has not been used for a few months. First thing to happen was the petrol LED on the control switch illuminated after a few minutes indicating that the gas system was going to standby. Then I had to switch over to petrol from gas as the motor was going to stall. The upshot is that the installer says that I can only use air con on the minimum setting as valves in the cooling system shut to stop water flow to the heater matrix when air con is on max, this also stops water flow to the gas heater. He claims a lot of plumbing is needed if I want to use the air con on max to overcome the problem. Anyone else come across this and if so what was done to overcome the problem?

Andy.

Hi Andy
As far as I can see the Prins System is multi-point so that should be OK, but I haven't seen any reference to water flow to the gas heater. Could be specific to the Prins unit. How long ago did you have it installed? Does sound a bit odd!!

Certainly don't have that problem with mine, if I remember rightly is a Mclaren Multi Point System.

The one thing that has been found on UK Imports if you are running on LPG tickover can be unstable, this is caused by the A/C pump cycling on/off around 30-60 seconds the cure for which is switching the heater control to floor only. Which turns it off

Let us know any further info

John

The upshot is that the installer says that I can only use air con on the minimum setting as valves in the cooling system shut to stop water flow to the heater matrix when air con is on max, this also stops water flow to the gas heater. He claims a lot of plumbing is needed if I want to use the air con on max to overcome the problem. Anyone else come across this and if so what was done to overcome the problem?

Andy.

Hi Andy
This story has a distinct pong to it mate, and it smells like bullsh 1 t........
If his claim is true that valves shut and stop water flow to the heater which in turn stops water getting to the gas heater, then it is clear to me that he didn't install the plumbing correctly in the first place. He should have taken the gas heater plumbing off the heater circuit before and after any valves that control flow to the heater. When he says that it requires a lot more plumbing I think he is saying that he has made a ****up, it will take him an hour or so to put in another two or three feet of flexible pipe and he ain't gonna do it so go away.....
I could of course be wrong, and would love to hear any other thoughts on this. Try asking the installer exactly how much extra plumbing and get them to point it out to you....
Good luck

Keith

Hello Men!

Thanks for the replies to my posting. This week I obtained a Chilton Manual for my Yankee Ex. It seems more suited to my Ex than the Haynes book I had been refering to.

There is a line drawing in the Chilton book that shows the typical cooling system water flow. There is a note on the drawing that states that the water flow is constant through the heater matrix unless the heater control is switched "off" or "aircon max". When the switch is in either of these positions flow through the matrix is stopped by the closure of valves. So this will also stop water flow through the gas heater.

Now, are UK spec Explorers the same in this respect? I am unable to find out from Haynes if this is so.

As for the Garage that fitted the system they were not the cheapest. But it is a very neat and tidy job that they have made in fitting all the gas equipment in. I queried the problem with them and they said that they had come across this with other makes of 4x4 but that they had converted UK Explorers with no problem. So maybe tis a US spec thing.

I reckon that a pair of copper "T" water pipe pieces, one for feed and one for return heater pipe, fitted before the valves would overcome the problem. But where could I get any that are of suitable substance for vehicle use? I reckon the garage would fit them if I could get something suitable.

Andy.

Back