Lurching forward after put in park.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lurching forward after put in park....

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Why would my explorer lurch forward after being put into Park? Even on slight uphilled parking spots, I pull in, sleect Park, take my foot off the brake and the explorer creeps forward a couple inches. EVEN ON UPHILLS!!!

Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i could swear mine does this too .like i park the thing ,then climb into the hatch area to retrieve something and i swear it moves front some .mines a 2000 sport .

I doubt it'll creek uphills but a creeping 5.0L all-wheel-drive 2nd generatoin Explorer typically indicates that either the front driveshaft has been removed, or the viscous clutch in the transfer case might need to be replaced soon. This does not apply to Sports as the Sports came with the 4.0L engine with the selectable (non-AWD) transfer case. Having said that, most vehicles will creep a few inches after being put into park because the drivetrain has some "slack" in the gears and the vehicle will roll a very short distance until this slack in the system is eliminated and the parking pawl in the transmission is fully engaged.

Maybe another good reason to use thePARKING BRAKE? I know they are not very efficient, but they do help hold the vehicle. Not only that, but using it will help keep the linkage from rusting, like mine was when I bought it. Just saying.

IZwack i realize that there is a said "slack" in the transmission when put into park. But I swear on slightly uphill parking spots, after shifting into park and depressing the emergency brake, when i take my foot off the regular brake, It CREEPS forward a inch or two. I kid you not.

The exploder does make a pop/clack noise when reversing at full crank. Possbile VC problem?

..and its a "Viscous Coupler"

Could be tran issue like bad torque convertor.

I witness my Uncle's 97 F150 with 4.2L. I watch him shift to Park then turn off. It lurching 1 foot so hard. Couple months later Trans broke later.

Nah, no mechanic for me. I TRY and self-diagnose everything, atleast the best to my ability. It's got 125k. Which REALLY isn't that much for a 97'. But I read about the sypmtoms of a viscous coupler that is possibly failing, my explorer meets the criteria. Feel's like it's binding at full crank in parking lots. I get a "Pop" when reversing or forwarding at full crank on the steering wheel. I was hoping it was a bad CV axle, but the "pop" comes from around the middle of the undercarriage (i.e the transfercase). I saw the write-up on how to change out the viscous coupler. But i'm man enough to know when I am in over my head, and dropping and cracking open the transfercase...is over my head. But on the other hand I FREAKING hate paying mechanics to work on my vechicles.

Nah, no mechanic for me. I TRY and self-diagnose everything, atleast the best to my ability. It's got 125k. Which REALLY isn't that much for a 97'. But I read about the sypmtoms of a viscous coupler that is possibly failing, my explorer meets the criteria. Feel's like it's binding at full crank in parking lots. I get a "Pop" when reversing or forwarding at full crank on the steering wheel. I was hoping it was a bad CV axle, but the "pop" comes from around the middle of the undercarriage (i.e the transfercase). I saw the write-up on how to change out the viscous coupler. But i'm man enough to know when I am in over my head, and dropping and cracking open the transfercase...is over my head. But on the other hand I FREAKING hate paying mechanics to work on my vechicles.

Thats too bad, and usually the transfer case in the 5.0s last a bit longer than 125k. I wonder if the fluid ever got changed.

Ya know, I never thought about flushing it out and throwing some new fluid in there...with maybe some transfercase additive/conditioner? Is there such a thing?

Thanks for the input man !

Since it lurches UPHILL it doesn't sound like the typical "slack" referenced earlier. I'd change the fluid in the tranny and transfer case and see if it still does it. This fluid changing has helped two of my Explorers (I have two mountys and one ex) that I thought had severe transmission issues.

Yeah, I can see it lurching forward if the nose were pointed downhill. But it wierded me out when I felt it do it the 2nd-3rd time. I'll give the transmission/transfercase flush a try.

Anyone have the reccomended fluids for both?

Limited slip rear additive...we have had some success with it in these viscous couplers as they are the same as rear clutches. And yes the v6 4405 has a viscous coupler and it can go bad but more likely its a tranny problem

The 4405 v6 t-case does not have a viscous coupler, it has a steel/friction disc clutch like an automatic transmission, not relevant to the thread but i hate inaccurate information

Thats funny cause the ford repair book calls it that!

the ford repair book may have mislabled it because i have rebuilt a few of the 4405's and they have a clutch pack not a viscous coupler

Chiltons calls it a viscous clutch either way its more like a limited slip in a rear than a clutch basket in a trans

The 4405 v6 t-case does not have a viscous coupler, it has a steel/friction disc clutch like an automatic transmission, not relevant to the thread but i hate inaccurate information

This is actually true.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back