• Register Today It's free!

M5OD or Transfer Case?

CRMW

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Ab
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I have been trying to find an M5OD for a while but they are pricy around here, I have found a cheep explorer that I'm hopeing to use as a parts vehicle I think the M5od is OK and the transfer case is the problem but I want to know what you think.

My Explorer - A 93 with a bad 3rd gear in the 5spd, bad clutch & slave cylinder.

Possible Parts Truck - A 92 with 5spd (rebuilt 2 years ago), manual hubs & issues. It shifts normaly in low range (with hubs disengaged), however in high range or 2wd it has some intermitant problems:
- Reverse will not engage most of the time
- a grinding noise in forward gears
- When driving and you let off the gas the explorer starts to slow down using the engine compression as normal, and then something lets go. It just rolls freely & a grinding noise starts up. If you step on the gas at this point the engine rev's a bit and the grinding noise will increase (with no increase in vehicle speed) until there is a bang and the truck starts to accelerate.

What do you think, transfer case or M5OD?

Thamks,
Chris

Almost sounds like the transfer case shift motor isnt turning far enough. If it is, the problem is internal. Which means rebuidl. What you would need to do is jack the truck up and get the grinding to happen. If its in the transfer case, no problem. That ones coming out, yours is also coming out, so just swap them when theyre out. If it's the transmission, keep searching.

ive seen some cheap m5od's on ebay, might try searching there. not sure how bad the shipping would be though

Thanks for the ideas

Vanquish502 - I couldn't ID the source 100% but I think it is from the transfer case, I guess I'll just swap them as you sugested.

alexefron - The shipping is bad, but I also have to pay the exchange, duty & GST so it can raise the price by up to 50% or so. I'll just keep my fingers crossed with this one!

Thanks for the sugestions.

Chris

Back