Trans/clutch or transfer case failure? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans/clutch or transfer case failure?

UPDATE! 3rd gear is thrashed. Have ordered a rebuild kit and 3rd gear. It'll be back on the road soon.

hope you did not mean use existing used TO bearing and slave cyl. from the old trans/clutch only like 50 bucks for new parts SAME NUMBERS but a remove replace trans and transfer when the part fails in 20k. stupid move of ford/mazda to put slave and to bearing together inside

ALWAYS use a new LUK slave and matching master..... if I go through the trouble of dropping the 5 speed I would never re install the slave and TO bearing.......You know me better then that!

Also I bleed the entire hydraulic system outside of the truck before installing it
Ive been doing clutches in these rigs since 1996 or so.......

Finally decided to get around to updating on this issue....1994 Sport 4x4 5 speed 288xxx miles. Turned out that third gear was missing two teeth on the gear and three on the counter shaft. I ordered a bearing and gasket kit along with a third gear and countershaft from Midwest Transmission Center in Minnesota, (they were excellent in all regards btw).

Stupid me should have been paying attention and counted the teeth on the gears... Turns out that my 4.0 M5OD has 2.5/3.0 gears in it. Apparently you can swap in the shorter 1-2-3 and countershaft from the 2.5/3.0 for more low end squirt. This explains why this Explorer has felt so much peppier than my last one! Fourth and fifth remain the same, allowing you to get the effect of a rear end gear swap without losing that efficient highway gear.

This route is potentially cheaper and easier than two diff rebuilds, in my case it was like swapping from 3.27 to about 3.73 on the first three gears. Now, the shorter gear set is smaller, the teeth are narrower and in general the the 4.0 gear set is all around beefier. There was around 100k on the transmission rebuild when third shredded, I suspect the taller, beefier 4.0 set would last longer.... No big deal if you can build it yourself I guess, and I'll have to rebuild the original 288k motor before it needs another transmission! Anyway, I learned many things about the old M5OD that I didn't know, and wanted to share with the community.

No... unless your OHV is 98-2000

The OHV had a 6 bolt crank until 1998 when it switched to a 8 bolt crank (same as SOHC)
So the 90-97 OHV has 6 bolt crank and flywheel.
For those we simply pull the locating dowels from the flywheel, lay the new SOHC clutch on there with alignment tool, mark center punch, drill/tap thread 6 new clutch hold down bolts.

The clutch is like 10.5" driven disc vs the old 9.5" driven disc (or something like that) The 03+ SOHC clutch pressure plate has dual springs/upgrades that give the old ohv a much much better grip and clutch performance, pedal feel is far superior IMO
Can have your favorite machine shop do the work for you usually under $100.
With the 98-2000 OHV's you can just use the SOHC 8 bolt flywheel yes.

You still use the OHV throw-out bearing, slave and master cylinder

This is the clutch I always order

$150 not bad, few years ago these were like almost $300
I wish I would have known this a while ago. I converted my 94 EB and my 4.0 Aerostar to 5 speeds. This would have been a great upgrade for both of them while having them apart.

Great info!

Back