M5R1 5th/reverse adjustment

IBW0TRR

Reaction score
City, State
Sapulpa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Hello,

I have a 94 explorer that I am putting a M5R1 into. This transmission has an adjustment for the 5th/reverse.

I purchased this transmission used, and the guy that had it before me said that he had adjusted it to try to correct a problem that he had. (the problem was popping out of 5th, which I will tackle later)

My question is this,

How do you adjust this, and how can you make sure that it is adjusted properly?

I searched online, and on the forums and cannot find anythng on how to do this. I'm sure that it is in a factory service manual, but I don't have one, nor do I know where to get one.

Thanks.

There is a large nut on the outside of the case, almost like a large Reverse Torx shape. Loosen it, and it will allow you rotate the Reverse Flat Head slot to adjust the throw of the 5/R selector...

It took me 3 tries to get it perfect....which equals about a week of driving, and testing.

Ryan

requesting clarification

Thanks for the response, but I'm still confused on what it adjusts. Does it just adjust how far to the right the shifter goes, or does it affect anything with 5th, or reverse specifically? Can anyone shed some light?

Where are all you transmission experts , huh? I have same question. I have mine apart and I can see what is getting adjusted ( the pivot for the 5/R shift link is moved about 1/4 inch for or aft) but can't make heads or tails of which way obtains more "throw".

Back