MAC cat-back exhaust from Explorer Express | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAC cat-back exhaust from Explorer Express

Holty

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer XLT AWD V8
I was just wondering if anyone with the 5.0 V8 is running the MAC cat-back exhaust from Explorer Express. I think EE calls it the "X-spec" exhaust but it's made by MAC Performance. It's the 3'' pipe with 4'' tip, and the muffler is the two into one style. Can anyone give me feedback on this setup? I just ordered one and would like other's opinions.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a search and could not find anything on this paticular exhaust, so forgive me if this has been posted before.

anyone using it?

I remember a little while back somebody ordered the MAC setup (can't remember who) and they hated it. They said it sounded like crap but hopefully it works out better for you.

Great.....now i'm wondering if i made a mistake. also, keep in mind i have the v8....maybe that person had a v6? (i hope)

anybody else have an opinion on this? please!:(

Yeah, someone did order it and did not like it. They had a V8 also. I remember because everyone was asking about his mustang in the background, but it wasnt a mustang it was a mercury or something like that.

thanks for your reply

I just can't believe that with all the members here and explorer express being so popular here that only one guy has ever got that exhaust system. i guess this will teach me not to buy something on impulse anymore.

Let us know how well you like it!!!!
Maybe the guy did not like it because it made too much noise or it was too quite.
I want something for my V8 that is not noisey at all.

o.k. after reading all the negative feedback from everyone on the MAC exhaust i decided to call and cancel my order. I now think i'm just going to go with the gibson cat back system instead.

thanks for the help!

I have a gibson and I like it a lot. I dont have a V8 but it sounds good.

guess you didnt search to hard, cause I have MAC on my 98, and I like it, if you like the more aggressive tone, dont go with Gibson, its not as loud as mac from what Ive heard.

I have the Gibson cat-back for the dual-inlet SOHC. The sound output is throatier and louder. It doesn't really sound like a muscle car, but it certainly lets out a powerful rumble at idle, and a satisfying rasp at 6,000. It also has a modest 3 inch ss tip. Here it is on my car:

explorer_exhaust.jpg

your explorer hits 6,000 rpm, do you have a chip that rasied your rev limiter??

No I don't. It just barely makes it to 6,000 before it starts getting fussy! Why, what does the V-8 cut out at? I was thinking about geting a JET performance chip, but then I would need premium fuel. I don't know about that :nono:

well considering the factory tachs arnt to accurate in the higher rpm range its got a rev limiter at about 5300-5400, I dont think yours goes to 6,000 either..

Back