mac intake 98xlt oil/no oil?

storlied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT
i was curious as to whether the filter on the mac intake for the 98 explorer 5.0L was oiled or a dry filter??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump...

Most likely oiled.

Dan

I don't have one, but every one I've seen is oiled. You could replace it with a non-oiled:
Dead Link Removed

One's oiled and one's not.. it changes the filtering capabilities, some people don't like oiled because of the risk of over doing it and getting oil into the maf and other things.

The oiled filter needs to be oiled in order to allow more airflow, while also filtering almost as well as a paper filter. However, as the oiled filter collects more dirt, it's performance decreases quickly. The Amsoil EaI filter does not have quite as good airflow as the oiled filter, but is supposed to provide a much flatter curve as it gets dirty. Theory behind it is that the holes in it are much smaller, so particles hit the outside and don't get embedded in the filter as they will with a paper and oiled filter. That's the theory anyway. Less mess to deal with than oiled anyway, and you only need to vacuum it off once a year.

Oil the filter. I have been running a MAC for about a 100K and it has not failed me

Back