MAC v8 Filter Size Question

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
Alright, here is the deal. For christmas I got a MAC Intake for my 98' v8. I noticed the filter that goes on the pipe was smaller then the one pictured in the catalog. I called up MAC and they said the one I have now (which is basically the same as ther KKM) has more displacement then the one that is suppose to come w/ the kit because the top is not closed, it's open like the KKM. Now....do you think the bigger filter that is suppose to come w/ the kit would make any difference then the one that I have on there now? The guy said they just probobally ran out of the "type O" filters and gave me a "type D" one instead. Any thoughts? Thanks alot!.........This pic shows Lowdpypes MAC v8 intake w/ the filter that is suppose to come with it and on the bottom is my truck w/ the filter that came with mine.
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If yours is open on the end then it will get more air since it will be getting air from the stock airscoop.

same here. if you have the open ended one, it actually has alot more surface area than the bigger, closed-ended one. look down inside it and you will see what im talking about.

mine looks just like lowdpypes old intake..
251936_1_full.jpg

Yep, thats the "O" type filter.....bah! i want that one!!!!

Hmmm, I'm about to buy the same intake for my 99. What is your experience with the MAC intake so far? Engine "feel" any different? More powerful/responsive?

honestly i think only a little performace diff. i can def hear it. my friend with a intake on his ranger says he felt a difference on my car as soon as i put it in. i think the intake as everyone else would say is that first step to improving performance. so i say go for it.

On mine there is a noticable amount of pickup gained if you floor it. Other then that and the ROAR it makes when you floor it and the hiss it makes when idling or when you tap the gas real quick is just so cool. I say go for it! Now if I can only find out what to do with this damn breather line that is no longer attached...:rolleyes:

likuid,
Just ziptie that line out of the way somewhere.

Actually, MAC sent me a grommet so I can put the line back into the intake tube. I guess its better if its hooked up anyways right?

I'm gonna buy one from this guy:

Dead Link Removed

I've been watching his auctions for a while and most of his go for the starting bid (119.00).

That thing looks hot. I love it. I tried the Mac website and all I found was a 6 pack header. It was last updated in summer of 2001. Can I get the proper Url so I may check it out myself. How about a heat shield? Does anyone think that it might need one. When I used to run the old 5.0 the hot air would change the performance.

Dead Link Removed

Back