• Register Today It's free!

Maintenance Suggestions @130K?

hotkarl

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT SOHC
For the life of me, I don't understand why I continue to sink my money into this lump, maybe it's the "devil you know" thinking, I don't know.
I should've sold this beast years ago but whatever.
Seems every time I fix or repair something, I either unearth another problem, or a day or so later something else goes wrong.
FORD-Fix Or Repair Daily. Yup.

Anyway, I'm grumpy.
Assuming that whatever hasn't been replaced or maintained is original or neglected, what would y'all suggest to do for a little preventative maintenance at 130K?

When it runs, it runs real good and strong, solid. Very rarely there'll be a bit of a miss or almost like it's about to stall. But this only happens like twice a year. No death rattle. I've done all balljoints, alt, starter, shocks, battery, heater core, thermostat, swaybar links, and brake lines so far over the past few years. Other than that stuff, I believe everything else is original. Some stuff broke and I either did the ghetto fix or just left it alone, minor crap like the blend door, some of the lock actuators, etc...
I don't trust this beast anymore.
I have this overwhelming fear of getting stuck somewhere.
Even though I've done all the balljoints, I have this really, really overwhelming fear that the wheels are gonna fall off doing 55 on the highway.
Every little squeal or squawk up front sends me into a panic when I'm going over 45-50MPH.
In fact every single time I drive it, I'm actually anticipating a breakdown.
I must add that cosmetically, she is super clean in and out, almost like new.
I bought it with 100K 5 years ago.

It all comes down to whether or not I should keep putting money into it.
Is it really worth it, or am I just flushing money down the tubes because this thing is going to fall apart sooner than later. She is not beaten on at all, but when all is said and done, uh, it's still a Ford. Heh heh.
And some of the problems I read about here on the forum also freak me out.

I guess basically the answers I'm looking for are "@130K you better change such and such because it will fail any day now" or something like that.
I think I just need to be held and be told everything is gonna be alright.
Ha ha.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chill out!! It will be o.k. My Aunt's 2000 Mountaineer SOHC has now passed 200k with no major repairs at all, and it is her daily driver. If you have not changed out fluid, like differentials and tranny, I would definitely suggest that. On my '96 I just replaced all the fluids, replaced sway bar bushings and links, and new shocks. Still drives great!! Only has about 107k.

Just out of curiousity, what are the chances that the death rattle recall was performed on my x already? Given the mileage and the fact that I do not believe I have the DR, is there a chance it was taken care of already? Is there any way to find out, like from Ford or something? What were the details of that recall anyway?

I am the 2nd owner, and I've picked up on a few repairs done that were part of other recalls, like stickers and such on some replacement parts that specifically say they were a fix for a recall, so it seems like the previous owner stayed on top of everything.
I bought it from a dealer, but I have all the paperwork verifying that it was a 1 owner vehicle.

And, I just got the letter for the cruise control recall...

Check out the video link in my signature. Do all the ones that involved fluid. New plugs wouldnt hurt either. Definitely do some seafoam before the plugs.

Vehicles break down. They are machines. Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, Smart car, hybrid, diesel. Doesnt matter ALL vehicles will eventually have mechanical problems. Just like in the healthcare world, early detection is the key. If you have trouble starting, dont put it off, start investigating. Same with "clunks" and "squeeks"

probably the shocks if not done already, sway bar bushing/links, full synthetic oil(it runs smoother) at least i think so.

I am a former mechanic, although I got out of the business full time probabally around '95 give or take a year, and that's where my real mechanical prowess ends. I can fix almost anything up throught the early 90's, but after that with the complex computer driven systems, it just freaks me out because I've been there and been at the mercy of a shop having to scan and diag certain problems, it sucks and is very frustrating for me personally being a former tech. The biggest issue is money, and this x is becoming a pit and has the potential to cripple me financially because if the motor or tranny or any other major repair is needed, I cannot afford to fix it and then she becomes the driveway queen.

And the other issue, which I don't know if any of you ever experienced this is,
a few years ago I had the wheel fall of my F150 on the highway doing around 65MPH.
I had my wife, kids, and dog with me. I don't think I need even explain anymore about that incident. Ever since then, I have had this fear of the wheel falling off on ANY vehicle I drive, brand new or old.
So even though I have replaced all the ball joints, and the front end seems to be pretty tight, I just can't overcome this fear. It sucks.
On these Explorers, other than loose lugs or bad ball joints, what else could fail causing the loss of a wheel?

It's funny, when I was younger, I was fearless. I would be doing 80 with the balljoints flopping around like flounders, or with 3 out of 5 lugnuts because I snapped off the studs or something, I remember pulling over every few miles and tightening the lugnuts on an old Camaro I had just out of highschool.
When you're young it really is that immortal "that wont happen to me" mentality. Well, eventually it did, and were it not for the fact that I am a pretty damn good driver, anybody else in that situation could possibly have been killed.
Just imagine for a minute, doing 60 on the highway and a wheel coming off.
Scary thought right?

If I were better off financially, I would've traded this beast in for something newer, but I've come to realize now that I just have to make the best of things for the near future and just keep her safe and dependable until I am in a position to get something newer.

You'd be hard pressed to put enough money into it to offset the cost of a newer car. Financing 20k for 5 years is going to run you $400 a month or more, so unless you're dumping that much into your truck (doesn't sound like it), it's still a bargain. Just add roadside assistance on your insurance policy (7$ every 6 months) and start saving for a rainy day.

Also, if you have one, check out your local junk yard or pull-a-part. With the CARS program, they are LOADED with explorers. I just pulled a new transmission for my Explorer for $70. Just have it sitting in my garage (just in case).

At my local pull-a-part, you can get our SOHC engine for $170 (including water pump, alternator, etc.). You can get a V8 for a little bit more. It probably won't run, but with a couple hundred bucks and a little wrench-time, you could probably fix it up. I'm thinking about pulling one and rebuilding it with the reinforced tensioner/cassette (I have a faint death rattle in my SOHC).

Back