Major brake pulsation at low speeds after long storage. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Major brake pulsation at low speeds after long storage.

02Eddie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I just put my 02 Explorer on the road after being parked for 1 year. it was parked in the same spot and only started and moved about every 2 months. when i got it on the road today, the brake were so loose and soft, the pedal would almost bottom out on the floor then return. i drove around the block and if i ride the brake i can feel and SEE the brake pedal moved 1-2 inches up and down while driving, could this really be a warped rotor, how could it pulsate that much at 10km/h? i tried to do a hard stop and the pedal was very soft & bottomed out, followed by a instant burning brake pad smell. i don't see any leaks in the line. do i just need to re-surface the rotors or is it something more serious in the brake system.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like you have many issues going on. A low pedal is normally caused by either a master cylinder going out or a fluid leak (some times the ABS assembly can fail and cause a low pedal). And the pulsating brake pedal does sound like a warped rotor but again could be caused by the ABS. Are there and brake or ABS lights on?

could be the massive amounts of rust on the rotors, pads could of deteriorated.

i just checked and there is NO check lights on and no leaks from what i can see. the fluid has not gone down at all. the rotors were rusty, but i thought it would clean up after a while. the brakes were fine when i parked it, could they have warped by not moving much over that time?

Not that I am aware of, brakes normally warp from being overheated from heavy braking or a bad pad seating and from a defective rotor out of the box. Did you start the truck to see if the lights are on? If you only turned the key on the lights will stay on the entire time the key is in the on position. Also are you sure its the brakes that are shaking and the the tires having a flat spot from sitting for so long? I would have the tires checked and balanced.

Not that I am aware of, brakes normally warp from being overheated from heavy braking or a bad pad seating and from a defective rotor out of the box. Did you start the truck to see if the lights are on? If you only turned the key on the lights will stay on the entire time the key is in the on position. Also are you sure its the brakes that are shaking and the the tires having a flat spot from sitting for so long? I would have the tires checked and balanced.

Yes i turned it on and drove it around, no brake warning lights or check engine lights. i'm sure its not a tire problem, the truck drives fine and smooth while coasting, but at soon as you touch the brake, even at the slowest speed, the pedal will rise and drop about 1-2 inches. and it will keep pulsating how ever long i ride the brakes to slow down. i have only heard of that happening at hwy speeds, not at 10 km/h and especially not 2 inches of pedal movement.

I personally would replace the front pads and rotors as that is the main cause of pulsating brakes unless the rears are really bad. Does it make any noise when you hit the brakes? It really sounds like an ABS issue where there is a sensor dropping out making the ABS kick on.

Just an update, i changed all the rotors / pads and bled the system, seems to have fixed the problem, there was major pitting rust on the back side of the rotor, i couldn't believe it could affect they pedal like that, thanks for all the help.

Back