Pulsating Brakes - 2011 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulsating Brakes - 2011 XLT

DDF

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
This started a few months ago. Pulsating brakes while slowing to a stop. You can feel it in the brake pedal. Thoughts on what might be causing this - ABS issue? I would hate to think it's rotors already.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This started a few months ago. Pulsating brakes while slowing to a stop. You can feel it in the brake pedal. Thoughts on what might be causing this - ABS issue? I would hate to think it's rotors already.

How many miles are on your Explorer, DDF? Have you had your dealership take a look?

Crystal

yup.. warped rotors..

I have the same issue on my 2011. Started a few months ago at approx 42k mi.

I'll probably need new pads by year's end and I'll have the rotors resurfaced at that time and hope that clears up the problem.

Or you may have one like mine- rotors turned in 2012, 2013, and now they need it again.... Another looming reliability issue. Sadly, this time it is not under warranty!

I no longer have rotors turned. When they start the pulsation, I replace them.

It might not be the rotors.
If you feel the brake pedal tapping back on your foot, it could possibly be a speed sensor or a crack in the pick up ring on a rotor.
I went through that with my 05 F150 when it ha 35,000 miles on it.

Just a FYi.......The only way to tell is bring it and have it looked at by a competent mechanic, unless you can find it yourself.
These kinds of things are sometimes hard to find.

Good Luck!

2011 Brakes Pulsating

I have a 2011 XLT with 32,000 miles on it. My brakes are pulsating, so I suspect I need new ones, along with rotors. I've seen the posts about free brake pads, but I am out of warrantee now. When I take it into the dealership for an estimate, what should I listen/look for from them so I don't get taken to the cleaners?

I have a 2011 XLT with 32,000 miles on it. My brakes are pulsating, so I suspect I need new ones, along with rotors. I've seen the posts about free brake pads, but I am out of warrantee now. When I take it into the dealership for an estimate, what should I listen/look for from them so I don't get taken to the cleaners?
Using the forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. There was no need to start a new one.

Peter

I have around 65k miles on my ex and I just put my second set of front rotors on my car. The first time I replaced the rotors with motorcraft ones. This time I'm using raybestos so I hope they last longer. I noticed that my driver side wheel had some smoke coming from it after driving home from the shop. I think that is normal for new brakes but I Thought it was odd that the passenger side had no smoke.

I have around 65k miles on my ex and I just put my second set of front rotors on my car. The first time I replaced the rotors with motorcraft ones. This time I'm using raybestos so I hope they last longer. I noticed that my driver side wheel had some smoke coming from it after driving home from the shop. I think that is normal for new brakes but I Thought it was odd that the passenger side had no smoke.

Probably didn't clean the rotors enough on the driver's side. They come shipped with an oily residue to prevent rust while in transit. You are suppose to blast the rotors with brake cleaner to get rid of this coating. If not it just burns off after you use them a little bit.

Back