• Register Today It's free!

Major oil leak

eaglecap6

Reaction score
City, State
Kennewick, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I have been noticing some oil on gravel beside garage where I park my 2003 explorer. I moved it into the garage and raised it up on jack stands and I found a large amount of oil on the undercarriage. It looked like the source was around the oil filter. I check the oil stick and it was void of oil. So last night, I went to the local parts house bought a new filter and 5 quarts of oil, drain the oil and installed the new oil filter and put in the 5 quarts. I wiped down the undercarriage of surplus oil. This morning, I drove the vehicle about 20 miles. When I got home I parked on the drive, went into the house for breakfast only to return an hour later to find a major oil deposit on the driveway. I check the oil stick and it showed no oil. I have not had time to investigate what's the problem. What components in the area of the oil filter that could be leaking to contribute to a major oil leak. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, make sure when you remove the old oil filter that the gasket came off with it.

Also, make sure when you remove the old oil filter that the gasket came off with it.

I changed the oil on a truck before and the rubber seal stayed on from the old filter and I did not realize it... When I started the truck all that oil came gushing out! This may be the case for you..

If that's the case, he may have TWO old gaskets left over. :eek:

Back