• Register Today It's free!

Bizzare oil "puking" problem...

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
ok for nearly 3 oil changes now, my wife's '04 Mountaineer (4.6L AWD, 134K) has been doing the craziest thing.

totally random, it will puke 2 tablespoons to a 1/2 quart of oil over night. I can take the truck for a quick trip into town (30 miles round trip). Park it.. check 4 hours later. Nothing. she can go to work (36 miles 1 way) & let it sit all day, nothing... Then come home, park it over night, the next morning... PUKE... oil slick. But not every night.

Another thing I have diagnosed, is that when I top off the oil to the proper level according to the dipstick, the booger will puke oil every night until its roughly a 1/2 quart low.

I have tried every brand of oil filter available, from my preferred FoMoCo, K&N, STP, Mobil 1, Trust, Fram... The other part is I can only see that the PUKE is down low, but can't find a defninitve spot where its coming from.

I have tried Baars Leak for Crank Case.. nada... I've tried different oils, we park on a flat/level surface in front of the house.. but it only "baby pukes" when parked with the hood facing down hill on our driveway out back in the alley...

I am stumped...

I am doing a full tune up this weekend (plugs, PCV, Fuel filter, clean the air filter, replace cabin filter etc)

It just makes NO sense at all.

Thanks

R.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That definetly is crazy havent heard of that happening. Would definetly like to know what it is when you find out.

no clue but I have some questions.

where is the leak in relation to the vehicle?
near the front of the engine? rear part of the engine? around the oil pan? left? right?

I would think you would be able to see where it dripped from by getting a good look underneath.

my initial guess is one of your main seals(front or rear). Cold over night temps may cause some type of contraction? causing a leak when its cold, sometimes? Warmer engine temps after driving causing expansion and no leaks?

How much oil do you add when doing an oil change? It takes 6 quarts, but when I check the dipstick on my '02 4.6L immediately after an oil change, it always shows about a quart low. I never add more.

^^^^ DING DING!!!! this is what I am thinking & have a couple other close mechanic friends & they have come to this conclusion.

The leak is from the general area of the oil filter.. but all over the cross member, filter drain "shoot" for lack of a better description. I have tested the location of the leak by moving the truck forward & back to see where the leaves its "accident".

Another thing, only rarely once the truck is fully warmed it will "dribble" or "tinkle" a few random drops, like it dripping off the cross member.

I am doing a full tune up this weekend including the PCV & & fuel filters.

Rob

with the exception of a K&N panel filter & NGK V-power plugs the truck is 100% stock.

I cannot find a listing for a PCV or Crankcase vent on any of the parts sites... unless I am looking for the wrong thing.

Anyone know of a part # for the PCV?

R.

Humm
Just a wild shot in the dark here, but could there be two gaskets on the oil filter? One left from a previous oil change and the current filter.

^^^ good idea... I will check that as well. Hadn't even paid attention, but anything is possible.

I am doing a full tune up & oil change this morning... I will look thanks for the idea.

R.

gasket @ the block-to-adapter you mean?

R.

The early 4.6 v8's had a problem with the oil filter housing gasket leaking. It's kind of a bugger to replace.

How would one go about replacing it then? Mine drips, and a mechanic said it was that....I'd like to start using synthetic, but don't want it to start pouring out....

Well I am home from traveling for 6 weeks & I am determined to find this.

I am putting in tracer dye tomorrow before the week starts...

I will update what I find.

Rob

Back