• Register Today It's free!

Major spark plug problem.

mactruc74

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I was replacing the spark plugs today on my 2001 Explorer EB V8. One of the spark plugs broke off and the half with the electrode, minus the nut, is still in the engine block. Any ideas on what to do other than take it to a Ford dealership. Unless that is my only option. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends.

Only thing i can think of is trying to us an "EZ Out" drill bit. But depending on what spark plug it is, getting a drill in there is most likely out of the question.

I don't think you can drill it without getting junk in the cylinder. I don't see anyway of getting it out without pulling head.

If it was mine I would use a chisel. Find a good one with a long flat tapered tip, like a wedge that will fit down in the hole. That has a square shank that you can turn with a cresant wrench. Soak it down with spray lube and let it set awhile, work it outta there. Then use a magnet to get all the scrap out. Good luck !

If you get anything in there that a magnet won't pick up, you can duct tape a small hose to your shop vac hose and suck it out.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 95-01 section. Use an easy out with either a hot engine or a blow torch (use extreme caution). It will cause the surrounding metal to expand, and make it easier to remove the broken spark plug.

somewhere I saw a kit for recovering broken spark plugs. I is supposed to be a comun issue on the f150. Hit a search on google for f150 spark removal kit, you will get an idea of the process to removed. An as Bigtrack said, use a shop vac hose to pic up the debris that could fall inside.

Good luck!

Might be a good idea to crank the engine enough to bring that cylinder to TDC, which will reduce the volume to fill with debris, and, make cleaning it out easier. You should be able to feel the compression pressure through the broken spark plug.

Then, an easy out right through the spark plug hole should extract it.

I saw this picture in another thread:
PICT0165.jpg

Back