manual shifter install (if shifter was removed while tranny in gear) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

manual shifter install (if shifter was removed while tranny in gear)

Noved1987

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
i just thought i would do a quick write up on what to do it you remove your shifter while your in gear. i searched for this yesterday when i did this exact thing and couldn't find anything on it. it might be common knowlage to some but i didnt know (but i figured it out after some cussing and a few cigaretes).

you will need a big flat screwdriver and possibly another person.

do this on a level surface if possible

If you have a manual Tcase put it in neutral

if not you may need someone to rock the vehicle if your vehicle if there is tension in your tranny

you need to remember if first is up and to the left inside the tranny it is down and to the right

find what gear you left the vehicle in (usually for me 1st or rev.)

insert your screwdriver where the shifter would normally be. you will have to push a pin to the side(this is why you just cant put your shifter in the gear)

then you can move the tranny back to the neutral position by simply moving the screwdriver forward or backward. if the tranny wont shift realitivly easy (i actually went from first to second because it moved easier than i thought, and had to go back to neutral) you will need the second person to rock the vehicle forward and back while you work the screwdriver. be prepared to apply the brakes quickly when it goes into neutral as there will be nothing holding the vehicle from moving

now you are ready to install yuor shifter in the neutral position

If anyone sees this, I'm new to anything transmission related, I had a loose shifter changed the bushings and thought shifter wouldbjust go back in and work no problem. My luck, didn't happen. Shifter won't move, I've read about it maybe not having been in neutral, which I couldn't tell because shifter was so loose, I see your instructions above about how to move back to neutral manually but I don't quite get it. I can't find a simple diagram or video that shows exactly what to do . Please help!!

Looking down inside the trans with the shifter handle/ stub shaft removed you will see some. “Tabs” that can move forward and back. These are your gear shifters. When the trans is in neutral all 3 slots will be in the middle
So basically the left lever that does 1-2 gears should be in the middle
The 3-4 also in the middle
5 and r also in the middle

When they are all in the middle the stub shaft goes right in and you can move it left and right. If the “detents” are not in the middle you can simply move them with a screwdriver

I will do an online search now and see if I can find a picture
A
Picture worth 10000 words

Okay here is one

The left “c” is in n
The right “c” is in n
This is the position you want when you insert the shifter stub

D9730E2B-F7E2-480D-9EA7-9779065D3E6C.jpeg

If your “c”
Metal bit is for or aft of these positions you can simply Move them with a screwdriver

Back