Manual Tranny and Transfer Case Swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual Tranny and Transfer Case Swap?

94EddieBauerRock

Reaction score
City, State
Champaign, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
So I found a manual tranny and transfer case on Craigslist out of a ranger that had a 2.9L. From what I have found searching the M5OD with a 1354 transfer case should bolt up to my 4.0L/A4LD Explorer. I have e-mailed the guy asking if the the tranny is a M5OD and transfer case is a 1354.
What I would like to know is what is involved in the swap? I know people hate it when this question is asked, but should it be a simple bolt up without any cutting/welding of cross-members etc.?
Will I need to get a new ECM for my 4.0 since it will be swapped to a manual? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I think I have seen threads on this before, but I couldn't find any. Thanks ahead for any information!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be nice and dodge the "SEARCH" response.

From an Explorer or Navajo with a manual transmission you need:

Starter
Block plate
Transmission
Flywheel (buy new)
Clutch (buy new)
Master/slave cylinders (buy new and buy specific for your truck's year model)
Clutch hose (only through Ford- again, buy your truck's specific year model, not donor)
Shifter assembly
Clutch pedal assembly
Floor plate
ECM
Transmission wiring harness (if Ranger is M5OD you can take that one)
Column surround (if you want to hide the column shifter stuff)

That's all I can think of right off. I'd recommend going at it in two stages. get the manual transmission in and running properly, then tackle the manual transfer case. Each will have its own problems, so it's best to not put too many factors into potential slip-ups at one time.

Transfer cases swap between A4LD and M5OD. Your driveshafts will be fine with both the manual transmission and the manual transfer case, as well as your stock crossmember.

Thanks for the info freshmeat! I will keep searching around on here and decide if I have enough money to do this swap.

freshmeat found your a4ld-m5od thread. I was typing a zero instead of an 'o' when I was searching and wasn't finding anything. I'm an idiot.

Im pretty sure tranny wont work, I think something to do with starteron wrong side?? Its been awhile. I may be wrong

When you find an M5OD, get this rebuild kit. Trust me, you'll need it. It's extremely cheap- the individual parts would run you about $65 if you even find a way to track them down.

When you find an M5OD, get this rebuild kit. Trust me, you'll need it. It's extremely cheap- the individual parts would run you about $65 if you even find a way to track them down.

Do you suggest a rebuild kit from Rock Auto or Autozone($205 w/synchros). I've never rebuilt a transmission. This might be an awesome learning experience.

Still waiting to hear back from the guy about whether it is actually an M5OD or not.

Umm fresh...WHAT rebuild kit?

So it turns out the tranny was not an M5OD but the mitsubishi FM146. Which I have heard is a horrible transmission. I told him I would take the Manual transfer case (BW 1354) but now he isn't returning my calls. I guess I am sol on this one. Maybe later on though.

So it turns out the guy is still interested in selling me the 1354 transfer case. He only wants 70 bucks for it. I am going to go pick it up this weekend.

Yeah I couldn't pass it up. He just wants to get rid of it because he is doing a 302 swap into his ranger.

So the only problem with this transfer case is that the guy "broke the linkage" when he was removing the transfer case. Does anyone know where I can get the linkage? I've been searching online but have come up empty. Also, will the speedo cable swap onto this 1354 or will I have to do some modification to get it to work? Thanks for any info.

Back