Manually selectable 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manually selectable 4x4

Richiejh

Reaction score
City, State
Taunton, Somerset
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've been looking at the 4x4 system issues on my 97 ex to try and work out what's wrong. Not only are the wires cut on the speed sensors but the 4x4 control box (passenger side behind panel in boot (trunk) I believe) has been unplugged. There is also a 7core cable running from the loom plugs to the front of the car.

Question, is it possible or has it been done to convert the 4x4 system to manual selection via the dash switch?

Answer: Yes and yes! I've just been out for a play with the old girl to see what happens. If I select 4high the light has always come on and today I noticed with the help of my brother in law that the light us accompanied by a clunk. How to test we thought so we put her in 2high and floored it in reverse, back wheels span. Put her in 4high and repeated test only to watch her take off like a rocket backwards. Back in 2 high and rears spin again. Tried again in 4low, slight slippage on rear wheels but not much at all. I need some more off road space to properly test it.
Thanks bro for the help and sorry to father in law for digging up his driveway.

So it definitely looks like my ex has been converted to manually selectable electric 4x4. However the 4x4 lights still flash but I think I can live with that.

Back