Manumatic 4r70w? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manumatic 4r70w?

so when I swap in my v8 I'm gonna go with a 4r70w to put the power to the pavement.

I want to turn it into a selectable manual-automatic. I like the paddle shifter kits I've been looking at online but I want to hear about your experiences with them and suggestions. What I'm really looking for is one that I have to upshift but not downshift. So if I take off it will refuse to shift until I say but when I slow down will downshift of its own accord.

What would be just perferct is not a paddle shift kit but one with a traditional h-pattern shifter that just doesn't have a clutch.

Has anyone seen a kit like this cause I haven't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are not going to get PRND 3 21 because the 4r70W has a button that controls the 3-4 OD shift.

Some people are happy with the B&M mega shifter... I am not

I would go with an Art Carr gate shifter drool drool

and did you just call my shifter ugly? LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there any way I could get a shifter with a PRND321 pattern?

All of the ones I've found are PRND21. And those won't be great for a manual valve body conversion.

My 94 with 4R70W has PRND21 with OD lockout. Why wouldn't they be great for a manual VB conversion? All it takes is mounting a button/switch near the shifter for OD lock out.

-Melon

All I am saying is the "3" in his shifter pattern has no function, even with a manual valve body the 4r70w has "D21" not "D321"

Ditto, which is why none of the AOD shifters can be used, those are all PRNOD1. They have no 2nd gear location.

AOD-e shifters CAN be used
So if you find an aftermarket floor shifter (or column for that matter) for an AOD-E it will shift the 4r70w

Heck I know guys running the 4r70w with the Gen I Explorer A4LD column shifter... just takes some small custom work, block off one detent and customize your dash indicatior.

its all about throw and detents to make any cable shifter work, I was sick of messing with it and my BII is 80% junk yard truck, very few aftermarket parts really... so it keeps with the theme

I shift my 4r70w just fine with my stock BII column shifter. The dash could use some customizing...but it isn't hard to tell what gear I'm in.

josh is you weld up the detent for the 1 place in your column shift and then just remove the D (OD D 2 1) you will have it perfect.

Joe Deitz went a step further and custom painted some clear plastic and replaced his a4ld indicator (very sharp)

oh ok I didn't know about the pushbutton OD. I thought the pattern on the aode would be the same as the a4ld; prnod21. Which would then change to prnd321 with a manual valve body.

But I see how that wouldnt work with the aod pattern.

I can't find any shifters that say work with aod-e, just ones for the aod. Would those work with the new electronic controlled trany?

Ditto, which is why none of the AOD shifters can be used, those are all PRNOD1. They have no 2nd gear location.

Only AOD-E shifters will work right out of the box, they are out there keep looking (Summit Jegs, you may call teh shifter makers and ask about AOD-E option)

Oh I must have skippedbthat post
ok I'll keep lookin.

I checked out the art carr shifter you mentioned I like it but I'm gonna keep looking before I make my decision

If the paddle shifting was the big feature that you want, I would lean toward the Baumann controller. I think a system like that could allow you to retain the stock shift lever(or a floor unit), plus be able to shift manually with the paddles.

I've pretty much thrown away the paddle idea. It would cost too much to get going to be worth trying something that could end up becoming monotonous.

I'm just looking for a floor shifter at the moment.

No matter where I look be it summit, jegs, google, whatever, if you put the words shifter and aode anywhere near each other, all you get is the b&m Hammer.

It doesn't look terrible but the crazy alien handle shape throws me off. Ergonomics are great but I want something classic.

The coolest shifter I saw was a TCI streetwarrior(I think) for 05-08 mustangs with the 5r55 trans. If there was any way I could adapt that one to work it would be awesome.

The coolest shifter I saw was a TCI streetwarrior(I think) for 05-08 mustangs with the 5r55 trans. If there was any way I could adapt that one to work it would be awesome.

Oh theres a way. If I could adapt the shifter from my 5R55 trans to a 4R70W trans then you can do the reverse.

I would love to adapt that shifter but it costs 500 bucks. Too much to justify.

Does anybody know of a shifter for the aode? I can't find one besides the hammer.
Posted via Mobile Device

dude most shifters for the AOD will work when you order them with the AOD-E kit

If you cannto find it online, CALL the people who make the shifter you are looking at.
Usually it is a simple detent plate that mounts inside the shifter that has the changes required for the AOD-E shift pattern

If the shifter is listed as available for the AOD chances are you can get the kit for it to work with the AOD-E / 4r70w

Gotcha 410. I wasn't sure if it was the detents or what that was different. I'll give b&m a call about the megashifter.

Thanks for the help guys.

Sweet! I didn't know that about the Two solenoids. It wouldn't be too hard the make my own control circuit to run those combos. I could even use an h pattern shifter from a manual and rig some limit switches to it that would select the correct combo for each gear. Hmm...

How would I stop the computer from shifting while I was in "manual mode" though I wonder?

The computer won't be happy with the above decision.

What has been written is all correct and well said. I would lean towards the system like Baumann has if you don't want error codes with the stock PCM. If you try to manually override the PCM signals, that will work, but with a check engine light. The PCM sends those on/off signals, and verifies that the shifts occurred.

If you control those two wires separately, be ready to accept the light staying on. I learned this by manually disabling 3rd and 4th gear in my 95 Crown Vic. I used one switch and two relays to not allow anything except 1st and 2nd. That gave me a two speed transmission, which is what I wanted. The check engine light came on and it took a long time for it to go out after I stopped using that circuit. Regards,

PCS makes a controller for your application. It will give paddleshifting, manumatic mode,etc. But as Rocket stated earlier it won't be cheap. 2nd you will have to turn all controls off in the processor if you go standalone.-j

yeah I've decided to just do the j mod and call it good. Maybe up the line pressure with a tuner a bit.

Back