• Register Today It's free!

Mass Air Flow Sensor Question

Bro.

Reaction score
City, State
BRAWLEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer prerunner
Hello everybody! I have a question, what is the best aftermarket mass air flow sensor besides motorcraft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SCT imo.

Do you have a tuner? The stock computer will read any MAF you connect as if it was the stock MAF. A certain voltage read by the MAF sensor is read a certain amount of air flow in the computer/EEC. It will need to be tuned, the MAF curve added or chosen from a pick list. Most tuners already have some MAF curves loaded. So If you buy a MAF that is already available in the tuner it will work.

The MAF has to be large enough to read the maximum flow with some room to spare at the top end, like maybe keeping it at an 80% duty cycle. You only need a larger MAF if you are adding a considerable amount of power adders. I don't know about the best, but it's got to be accurate and come with the flow data/curve so you can enter that into a tuner. I have utilized Ford's 90mm Lightening MAF's, but I think they may be getting hard to find?

I have had much luck buying used off of Corral.net mustang site.

Well that was too much if you already have a tuner and know what you are doing! I use a Tweecer, Tweecer.com

Here is a stock 302 MAF Curve, Kg/Hr of flow on the Y axis and MAF voltage on the X axis. A flow curve matching the new MAF must be input or the EEC will read the stock Y amount of flow at a specific voltage regardless of any MAF sensor attached to it.

302--maf-curve.jpg

My work computers programs are down, sorry if this is too much info.

What will you be adding for a power adder ?
The stock Maf will go a long way

not to thread high jack but seems like a good place to put this.
i'll be changing to 30lb injectors, should the maf be changed or can it be retained as long as the custom tune takes this into account. if my math is right the stock maf can support around 400-500 crank hp?

You don't need a bigger MAF unless the airflow will be much higher soon. The 19's will handle a good 75hp more than stock, and getting there takes major upgrades.

Based on my datalogs, My engine would be maxing-out the stock 2000 MAF , stock at 4.5lbs of boost. Maybe 300 horses?
I run an 02 Lightning MAF.

Back