• Register Today It's free!

max speed question in hi/lo 4x4

08FordSportTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Sport Trac
the title explains my question. how fast is too fast? and dont worry i havnt done any crazy speeding in lo/hi, just curious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always heard that you should stay below 45 mph for high, and for low you can put your truck in low and realize can't go very fast at all

If 45mph is the limit for Hi-range, and considering that the transfer case multiplies the RPMs and torque by approx. 2.5 times when in LO-range, then 18mph would be my guess for LO (45 / 2.5 = 18).

im not really sure... when my truck was a stock 4x4, and we had an ice storm a few times a year and i had to drive to work.. i would run it in 4-hi at 60-65 for a 55 mile trip one way.. As far as the specifications and everything else read out, as long as everything is balanced and maintained well, you should be able to run in 4-hi just like you do in 2-hi because there is no reduction in ratio going from 2hi to 4hi, all your doing is engaging the t-case and front driveshaft. my truck is a 5 speed stick and 4lo in 5th gear floored, about 25 was max..
now thats its full-lock front and rear, i wont attempt anything over about 40 in 4hi

im not really sure... when my truck was a stock 4x4, and we had an ice storm a few times a year and i had to drive to work.. i would run it in 4-hi at 60-65 for a 55 mile trip one way.. As far as the specifications and everything else read out, as long as everything is balanced and maintained well, you should be able to run in 4-hi just like you do in 2-hi because there is no reduction in ratio going from 2hi to 4hi, all your doing is engaging the t-case and front driveshaft. my truck is a 5 speed stick and 4lo in 5th gear floored, about 25 was max..
now thats its full-lock front and rear, i wont attempt anything over about 40 in 4hi

That was my thoughts as well. Although I feel if you need 4x4 you don't need to be doing 60 but that's up to each person. With my hubs locked in everything is spinning at the same speed so just locking the TC in should not cause an issue. Steering would be affected though.

4lo you're up against the rev limiter.

4Lo mine tops out at 42, in 4Lo my 97 also wont shift into overdrive either. I wouldnt suggest going that fast for very long though, we were racing, went 50 yards at WOT then slowed way down

I don't know that there is a max speed in 4 Hi but I think it won't shift into 4 Hi above 55 mph. In 4 Lo your max speed is whatever you're doing at redline.

Back