Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen Differential Tech | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maximum Traction Solution - 4th Gen Differential Tech

Creo compre uno equivocado es dana 30 corto. O como lo puedo instalar tengo una explorer 2008 4x4

IMG-20211012-WA0024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've been looking at Torsens front and rear for a couple of years myself, however, it seems that the 8.8 31 spline and Dana 30 are ALWAYS out of stock. I've grown tired of waiting and am looking at the Eaton option, but I've been unable to get a solid real answer as to if they are really compatible with our circlip setups.

Has anyone actually done eaton true tracs front and rear at this point?

I've been looking at Torsens front and rear for a couple of years myself, however, it seems that the 8.8 31 spline and Dana 30 are ALWAYS out of stock. I've grown tired of waiting and am looking at the Eaton option, but I've been unable to get a solid real answer as to if they are really compatible with our circlip setups.

Has anyone actually done eaton true tracs front and rear at this point?
I looked at Toren's too. I just finished doing my 2010 Explorer Sept. 2021. Eaton Truetracs front and back, They are currently available from Jegs, Amazon, Summit, and others, but not for the 3:55 carrier used in the front differential. I installed 3:73's Yukon Gears in both differentials so the 3.55 carrier break didn't come into play for me. The 8.8 Rear Truetrac has two axle spacers included in the box, use the thicker one only. The thinner one is for Mustang's 8.8 only. The front Truetrac doesn't use axle spacers.

I love them, this is my daily driver. I have been using Eaton's for over fifty years, have yet to have one let me down! With these "new to me" truetrac's you will never know they are there. Very quiet operation very similar to an open differential. No chirp chirp chirp going around a corner with wet pavement like a LSD clutch carrier. Pure traction where and when it's needed.

I looked at Toren's too. I just finished doing my 2010 Explorer Sept. 2021. Eaton Truetracs front and back, They are currently available from Jegs, Amazon, Summit, and others, but not for the 3:55 carrier used in the front differential. I installed 3:73's Yukon Gears in both differentials so the 3.55 carrier break didn't come into play for me. The 8.8 Rear Truetrac has two axle spacers included in the box, use the thicker one only. The thinner one is for Mustang's 8.8 only. The front Truetrac doesn't use axle spacers.

I love them, this is my daily driver. I have been using Eaton's for over fifty years, have yet to have one let me down! With these "new to me" truetrac's you will never know they are there. Very quiet operation very similar to an open differential. No chirp chirp chirp going around a corner with wet pavement like a LSD clutch carrier. Pure traction where and when it's needed.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to go ahead and pull the pin on some Truetracs front and rear, and some ford and dana 3.73 gears.

I bought richmond gear EXCel D30450TJ for the front. Does anyone know if this going to work.

I bought richmond gear EXCel D30450TJ for the front. Does anyone know if this going to work.
those look like there for the jeeper d30s. ibdont think they fit the X, which had the dana super 30 iirc

those look like there for the jeeper d30s. ibdont think they fit the X, which had the dana super 30 iirc
Thays where the confusion comes from the first post/write up states that regular dana 30 ring and pinion will work. And before that it states jeep kj liberty and 99-04 grand cherokee. I ordered these thru rock auto for a 99-04 grand cherokee.

Thays where the confusion comes from the first post/write up states that regular dana 30 ring and pinion will work. And before that it states jeep kj liberty and 99-04 grand cherokee. I ordered these thru rock auto for a 99-04 grand cherokee.
huh interesting then. let me know how that goes! given that info, then i suspect it will!

From what I can research the jeep TJ (which is apparently the gear set I purchased) is not the same length pinion gear as an xj cj etc. It's shorter. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Jeep Dana 30 and Ford IFS Dana 30 are not the same axle.

Ford produces their own Dana30 by Dana Spicer license with several changes.

They do not share parts with Mopar.

Jeep Dana 30 and Ford IFS Dana 30 are not the same axle.

Ford produces their own Dana30 by Dana Spicer license with several changes.

They do not share parts with Mopar.
I'm guessing you haven't regeared or read any of this thread?

Why to buy cherokee dana30 parts?who told you they will fit ford dana30?this axle cases are totally different from each other

anyways

i have no idea what for do you need front locker with IFS plus progressive rsc but whatever...good luck

anyways

i have no idea what for do you need front locker with IFS plus progressive rsc but whatever...good luck
Ring and pinion dude. My question is about that. No lockers. And dana 30 super from ford shares the same carrier and ring and pinion as jeep Dana 30 just different bearingsyou would know that if you actually read the entire thread. So your not answering my question and blurting out something you obviously don't know so yes. I guess I do need luck

So the part written in this write up is wrong. Page 1 first post by op states that front ring and pinion gears from a jeep jk and 99-04 grand cherokee will work. I ordered 4.56 for a jeep grand cherokee 99-04 and the pinion is to short.

20220716_122743.jpg

Looks like even the splines diameter are not the same too

As well as the overall gear shape.

So what the Jeep axles do share with Ford?

Looks like even the splines diameter are not the same too

As well as the overall gear shape.

So what the Jeep axles do share with Ford?
Splines where the same and the gear size is different because it's 4.56 instead of 3.55.

Stop looking at them as jeep axles and ford axles. They are dana. More cars share stuff in common than you think

But don't forget that Dana designs and makes axles for many different car makers according to their specs. You would think they would recycle a lot of parts but sometimes they may not be able to. And they may not care about the cost savings from reusing parts as that contract more than pays for itself. I don't think that Dana tells the car manufacturers 'Here is what we have - which one do you want'.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly...but whatever

What is the plan to fit em?how do you get the longer pinion shaft?

As far as i know you will need to change the rear gear ratio too.

You better buy more offroad reliable car that this giant Gen4 mall crawler LOL.
I mean.. you are spending your money and time to emprove gen4 zero offroad capabilites...why?

Actually to be honest,Ive tried to fit several spare parts from Jeep's front axle in the past,no one worked for me.but i wish you a good luck anyway..maybe some parts will work for you.

By the way

Dana 30 are not considered to be the offroad heavy duty one.it is totally low spec ,regular,medium capability SUV axle.

Back