Methanol Injection | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Methanol Injection

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey i have a 2016 ford explorer sport 3.5 ecoboost im trying to install snow methanol injection kit and im have trouble find a boost line to tap into on the drivers side of the firewall anyone have any ideas?? Also it wants me to tap into a fuel pressure sensor and i dont think my car has one?
Just what the doctor ordered...

Also i was wondering this also. I put the tank inside my cab and didnt know if someone could shed some light on this. Is it ok to put it in the cab of the car its my everyday driver and im only running 50/50..

Lso
20201211_121428.jpg

It's ok to do it, but you will need to vent to the outside somehow...check my build for that part of the process:

You DO NOT want meth fumes in your cabin, they are odorless so you won't know they are there.

And for those that care to know more about the PWM systems and how they compare...

View attachment 341599

It's ok to do it, but you will need to vent to the outside somehow...check my build for that part of the process:

You DO NOT want meth fumes in your cabin, they are odorless so you won't know they are there.
Awesome work thanks for the info

Also i was wondering this also. I put the tank inside my cab and didnt know if someone could shed some light on this. Is it ok to put it in the cab of the car its my everyday driver and im only running 50/50..

Lso
Anything 50/50 and below is not considered flammable so you should be fine. I would not run 100% meth with an inside tank however due to fire risk.

I use my windshield washer tank so when the light comes on I know to refill. I tapped the bottom of the tank so I have a little reserve when the light comes on. The pump is mounted on the driver side. The 500cc nozzle is mounted on the underside of the plastic intake tract elbow below the TIP sensor. I have it set to start spraying at 8psi with full in at 12psi. I get boost reference from one of the rubber hoses off the intake. Bought a pack of Tees from Autozone and spliced it in.

That being said I don't get into it all that often and it's the wife's; so I don't burn through a ton of it. I run around a 50/50 mix. I either use 1 gallon of -20* washer fluid with 2 bottles of yellow Heet or 50/50 100% meth and distilled water mix. I can get 100% meth at a local speed shop for $4 a gallon. (So its much cheaper to mix myself).

I will say this... meth is amazing! It kills knock! I am running a kit from Torrie who is also my tuner. (Unleased Tuning). 3-bar map sensor, K&N drop in, 170 stat, and plugs gapped at 0.028 - 0.030. Put new plugs and primary O2 sensors in as well. Highly, highly recommend. Should be your first set of mods. We keep slowly bumping up the timing and boost and it takes it like a champ! I was worried my turbos would be tired at 120k but they are rocking a stable 17 psi with good intake temps, zero knock, and haven't maxed out my wastegate duty cycle yet. I was considering downpipes, intercooler, fuel pump, and new turbos but I am pretty happy where I am at with this 5,040 lbs barge (full tank of fuel and me). I have another platform (LS) that sucks up my time and fun money.

On a side note I also drilled a 1/16" weep hole in my intercooler. It blows out quite a bit of crud. Haven't maxed out my Turbo's yet and noticed the engine runs smoother. It eliminated an occasional stutter/misfire I use to have. Especially on humid days. It's a bit controversial but it works for me.

I remember when I used to hang out with the guys from CART they used to "pickle" their engines immediately after every race with gasoline because Methanol racing fuels were super corrosive to aluminum. They told me if they didn't purge the engine there would be a tremendous amount of damage to the fuels system, intake and cylinder heads as well as the blocks.

Check out this webpage

Here is a sample from that site
Aluminum Alloys

Here is another great site on Methanol

Aluminum alloys are available in a large number of variations, emphasizing properties such as strength, fatigue resistance, toughness, and enhanced corrosion resistance. Aluminum alloys are used for storage and transportation of many refined chemicals such as methanol, and fuels such as gasoline and diesel. Care should be taken since methanol can vigorously attack some aluminum alloys. Aluminum alloys offer a favorable strength to weight ratio, but are susceptible to chloride pitting, and crevice corrosion in chloride contaminated methanol service.

I used to run a vacuum based injection system on a Datsun pickup that had a built engine for racing. I added a on off switch to the system so I could shut it off. The problem was back then metering the amount of fluids that were getting injected and I was worried about hydolocking the engine. Methanol is also hydroscopic and will pull water out of the air. I also had to replace rubber o rings and gaskets because that stuff ate rubber for lunch but that was on an older car that as produced before Methanol mixed fuels
Regards
Mark

I remember when I used to hang out with the guys from CART they used to "pickle" their engines immediately after every race with gasoline because Methanol racing fuels were super corrosive to aluminum. They told me if they didn't purge the engine there would be a tremendous amount of damage to the fuels system, intake and cylinder heads as well as the blocks.

Check out this webpage

Here is a sample from that site
Aluminum Alloys

Here is another great site on Methanol

Aluminum alloys are available in a large number of variations, emphasizing properties such as strength, fatigue resistance, toughness, and enhanced corrosion resistance. Aluminum alloys are used for storage and transportation of many refined chemicals such as methanol, and fuels such as gasoline and diesel. Care should be taken since methanol can vigorously attack some aluminum alloys. Aluminum alloys offer a favorable strength to weight ratio, but are susceptible to chloride pitting, and crevice corrosion in chloride contaminated methanol service.

I used to run a vacuum based injection system on a Datsun pickup that had a built engine for racing. I added a on off switch to the system so I could shut it off. The problem was back then metering the amount of fluids that were getting injected and I was worried about hydolocking the engine. Methanol is also hydroscopic and will pull water out of the air. I also had to replace rubber o rings and gaskets because that stuff ate rubber for lunch but that was on an older car that as produced before Methanol mixed fuels
Regards
Mark
Ahhhh, the age ol' "You'll shoot your eye out" (insert obligatory finger wag imagery) argument against using methanol....lol. Cracks me up every time...

Meth is absolutely amazing for the 3.5TT. I highly recommend it. Kills knock, supplements fueling, and cleans the intake and tops of the valves. I have never heard of anyone running into corrosion issues from running meth.

Meth is absolutely amazing for the 3.5TT. I highly recommend it. Kills knock, supplements fueling, and cleans the intake and tops of the valves. I have never heard of anyone running into corrosion issues from running meth.
Exactly, modern engine materials (and by modern, I mean at least the last 15 to 20 years, lol) are all made from metals, rubbers and plastics that can handle ethanol and methanol based fuels. Ol' timers crack me up sometimes...I got much respect, but I still get a chuckle from time to time...

Hey you don’t happen to be Joe R. from Ma are you? This is Allison F.
welcome to EF! just a note that member hasnt been on since 2021

I have been on meth for 1 year and thought I would give an update. It all started at a party, ahhhh, wrong story, I mean it all started with the urge to go faster. LOL. In all seriousness I highly recommend running meth. I have had zero issues so far. I use 50/50 mix in the washer fluid tank to a nozzle between the intercooler and throttle body. I spray at 8 psi initial and full on at 15 psi engine boost levels. I buy my meth from a local speed shop and mix it myself with distilled water. I go through about a gallon of 50/50 a month with my wife mostly driving. 6 gallons of meth a year at $4 a gallon. I use more obviously when I am towing. I pulled my intake off and it was clean. No oil deposits, no carbon deposits, nothing. I was amazed. So meth definitely keeps the throttle body and intake manifold clean. However my intake valves were awful. At 130k I was amazed at the buildup. Here is a before and after. So I am not convinced it prevents intake valve buildup on DI engines. Not that I can tell. I did notice cylinder 1 had slightly less deposits which probably means I have unequal distribution. Not surprised as I am not port injection for each cylinder.

I have been on meth for 1 year and thought I would give an update. It all started at a party, ahhhh, wrong story, I mean it all started with the urge to go faster. LOL. In all seriousness I highly recommend running meth. I have had zero issues so far. I use 50/50 mix in the washer fluid tank to a nozzle between the intercooler and throttle body. I spray at 8 psi initial and full on at 15 psi engine boost levels. I buy my meth from a local speed shop and mix it myself with distilled water. I go through about a gallon of 50/50 a month with my wife mostly driving. 6 gallons of meth a year at $4 a gallon. I use more obviously when I am towing. I pulled my intake off and it was clean. No oil deposits, no carbon deposits, nothing. I was amazed. So meth definitely keeps the throttle body and intake manifold clean. However my intake valves were awful. At 130k I was amazed at the buildup. Here is a before and after. So I am not convinced it prevents intake valve buildup on DI engines. Not that I can tell. I did notice cylinder 1 had slightly less deposits which probably means I have unequal distribution. Not surprised as I am not port injection for each cylinder.

I was on meth in the '90s. That is my Kawasaki 750 Turbo was on meth. We both loved it. :D My bike had an adjustable boost regulator mounted in the fairing. I could dial in the boost based on whether or not I was running methanol. The difference in performance was unreal. I ran high 10s on the bike with a soft launch.

My intake valves look the same at 130k. When I did the water pump I looked into walnut blasting the intake valves while it was all apart but I opted not to. What method did you use?

I also noticed the first intake runner was cleaner than the rest. It looked tanned instead of black sludge 😂

Unless you spray directly into each intake runner I don't think spraying meth will keep them clean.

I bet that thing idles super smooth now haha

It is a huge difference! I removed the passenger tire and rotated the engine using the crank bolt to close both valves. Taped off all the other valves and water jackets. First I scraped the majority off to get the big stuff. Vacuum it out. Then I used this adapter with my shop vac. I used walnut media from Harbor Freight along with their cheap handheld sand blaster. Had to drill out hole on blaster because it kept clogging. I also extended the tip using spare brake line I had. Worked perfect. Stick it in, blast, let vacuum catch up, blast other side, let vac catch up, remove, hit any missed spots. Once done I hit the inside with blow gun to make sure nothing left then tape off and go on to the next one.

How many miles were on the engine before adding the meth?

I'm guessing the meth won't clean the already baked/caked on buildup on the valves, but if you ran it from new, they would have been much cleaner just due to 'washing' of the valve from new. (think port fuel injection).

I need to get into my engine and see what the valves look like. I'm at about 115k miles on my Sport. Guessing they are getting gunked up.

I had around 115-120k before meth. The valves were definetely coked up before the install obviously. So in about 5 years I can reply to this post and let you know if it is effective in keeping them clean now that I did it. LOL

Back