MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks!

I'm still on 2.8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone,

I see a lot of folks here saying things like "I hope they do my upgrade" and "my dealer has not gotten version xyx."

I want to clarify that there are no disks involved or complicated procedures. Here's how it works:

- The tech connects a laptop to the car and logs onto Ford's server.
- Once logged in, the laptop shows the current MFT software installed on your car, new software versions, and if there are any malfunctions.
- Tech clicks check-boxes to select which software to install.
- Laptop downloads the software onto a USB stick plugged into the laptop.
- Once download is complete and verified (to make sure there are no errors), the tech plugs the USB stick to the car for installing the software.
- After the software is installed, the tech plugs the USB stick back into the laptop for uploading installation confirmation back to Ford servers.

And that is is. So, when a dealer tells you that "we are only on version blah" or "we have not gotten such and such update" they don't know what the h*ll they are talking about.

All updates are performed directly by downloading software from Ford's servers. Once Ford publishes an new version, it is immediately available to every tech. No disks, nothing to wait for.

+1 Learning curve,Learning curve,Learning curve !!!

Just got home from the dealer (had remote starter installed) and they also "fixed" my MFT issues. Allegedly they replaced "the module" - they could not elaborate, but judging from the receipt I think they replaced the APIM.
I didn't have enough time to test everything but it seems my random lockups, freezes and phone disconnects are solved. The system is still slow (no improvement in performance), but seems more stable.

I spoke too soon.
Still having issues, mainly with bluetooth phone connection reliability. Very often I start the car and the phone does not reconnect. (It's an iPhone and never had any issues in other cars.)
The other issue I'm still having is screen freezes - it does not respond to touch.
And the third issue I'm having is it "forgets" the audio source it was playing when restarting the engine. So for example I was listening to Sirius, stopped the car. Later I got back in the car, started it, and bang - my ipod started playing a random song. WTF?

I felt quite frustrated today, and wanted to just stab the touchscreen with a screwdriver.

Let's be honest, Ford is selling us a beta version (and I'm being generous). A very expensive one. All I'm asking for is for it to work as advertised.

I am nearly at the point of calling this system a safety hazard because it requires constant attention.
The funny thing is, 99% of the problems would be eliminated if the unit had a 10 times faster CPU - it's that easy.

I spoke too soon.
Still having issues, mainly with bluetooth phone connection reliability. Very often I start the car and the phone does not reconnect. (It's an iPhone and never had any issues in other cars.)
The other issue I'm still having is screen freezes - it does not respond to touch.
And the third issue I'm having is it "forgets" the audio source it was playing when restarting the engine. So for example I was listening to Sirius, stopped the car. Later I got back in the car, started it, and bang - my ipod started playing a random song. WTF?

I dont have a 2011, and no MFT, but I do have a Pioneer AVIC-920BT and it performs the same way with my iPhone4. Regardless of what input the radio had when I stop, when the vehicle is restarted, a randomly selected song off my iPhone will play. I haven't had the same issue when pairing a Blackberry.

Maybe there is something in the iPhone that does that, dont know, I just change the input to my Pioneer radio each time.

2,700 miles in 6 weeks. Not one issue with mft. Worked great on 2.7, 2.8 is more responsive but still not a single issue. Sirius, bluetooth, touch controls, all work as it is supposed to.

Maybe there is something in the iPhone that does that, dont know, I just change the input to my Pioneer radio each time.

that could be possible... you say no problems in other cars but there has been at least two updates within the last month 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. what version are you running? nothing widespread but you can google and found someone with a bluetooth issue after 4.3.3 or people having BT issues with jailbroken 4.2.

but i have a 3GS running 4.3.3 jailbroken and no problems syncing with the MFT.

Also, have you tried unplugging the ipod and using the system without the ipod to see if you are having BT and freezing issues or if it keeps forgetting audio source (going from sirius to FM or something)... maybe it a USB issue... or when a USB device is always attached or a conflict with the ipod.

Mft

I have had my car for a week on V2.8. Sometimes it sees the iPhone 3GS sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will switch radio stations right away. Sometimes it takes two or three seconds. Very erratic! Beta software!

Just received my Explorer Friday 5/20 and I can only assume it has 2.8 because it just got built 5/12. I cannot verify it on syncmyride (Invalid VIN, and VHR will not transmit).

I can see first impressions are Ford should be embarrassed at the responsiveness of this product. Slow as molasses, screen does not respond well to key presses, very clunky. I have a 2011 F-150 that is Gen1 Sync (not MFT) with NAV, and it is so much more solid although not near the features.

You can listen to all the first model year stuff you want, but let's remember MFT has been on Edge, and Lincoln cars before this one AND Ford has had this product in design for at least two years.

I hope sincerely mine is not 2.8 and just needs a re-flash, which it needs anyway according to sync support to validate the VIN.

I have had my car for a week on V2.8. Sometimes it sees the iPhone 3GS sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will switch radio stations right away. Sometimes it takes two or three seconds. Very erratic! Beta software!

Exactly the same here but with a Blackberry instead. I certainly can live with the slowness but would love to have it more responsive as it is annoying at times. :rolleyes:

Other than that....the Explorer Rocks!!!

I imagine whomever is in charge of the MFT/Sync program at Ford is in some hot water these days. It is hard to believe they let this system come to market with such poor performance. This is one of those, "Didn't anyone test this first?!?" problems.

Could be lots of things. Either what yoy say or they made a calculated move. It could also be that the Edge/MKX were ready to go and MFT wasn't and they couldn't hold the launch. In any case you are right MFT is a disaster.

My post may have been confusing, I don't have a 2011 Ex and I don't have MFT. I do have a Pioneer AVIC-920BT, which is a poor mans SYNC. The point I was trying to make was that when I use my iPhone4 with the Pioneer AVIC, I get some of the same issues people here have reported with MFT.

I was just wondering if the phone causes some of the issues???

I have had that happen twice since I picked up my Ex on March 14th. Was listening to Sirius when I turned off the vehicle. When I came back and restarted it, it began playing from my USB stick. Other than that a couple of minor hic-cups with the Nav which self-corrected. I'm on V2.4

I spoke too soon.

I took a road trip with friends right after getting V2.8 installed and experienced the same problems as you listed. If I leave the X running and am connected to Sync, the connection won't automatically reestablish when I get back in the vehicle. Also, there were many times where my iPhone (3GS) would become unresponsive and I would have to turn off/on bluetooth on the phone and vehicle to reestablish a connection. Sometimes just pushing "connected" under Devices on the bluetooth screen of the iPhone would reestablish connection, but sometime it would not.

I've also had the screen shutdown and come back up in the middle of a song for "scheduled maintenance" a few times. I thought that was a really funny term to use for CRASH.

I'm not sure if any of you have tried to have two iPhones connected at one time to the system, but that seemed to create more chaos and I would advise against it.

Ford needs to get on these issues FAST because it was a bit embarrassing and made a poor impression on the people that were traveling with us.

MFT 2.8 iPhone and Blackberry

Vic, I have an iPhone and have been having issues. gdecamp posted having the same issues with a Blackberry! I don't think the issues with MTF are just iPhone related!

Vic, I have an iPhone and have been having issues. gdecamp posted having the same issues with a Blackberry! I don't think the issues with MTF are just iPhone related!

I know, I'm just saying I have similar symptoms with a Pioneer Nav system. I doubt the code in the Pioneer is the same as in MFT, so I'm just saying the phones connected to these types of systems (Pioneer Nav, MFT, whatever) could be a source of some of the issues (like the iPod part of the iPhone randomly playing songs.....as if the iPhone automatically pushes that data out when it senses its connected to something.) iPhones have had BT connectivity issues in the past but have gotten better with their newer OS updates

Just a thought

built 02/23 2.7 620 miles.
Droid X works fine.
MFT worked fine until Saturday.
I shut the Ex off and opened the door and MFT and the fm radio would not shut off. Pushed off button on tuning knob no go. Closed door and hit handle lock button MFT and radio still on. Kept playing with it and finally shut off/down after locking with remote.
Started Ex up today and radio (lower left corner) says no program. Won't work at all when touched.
Ex goes in to dealer Thursday for Back ordered mud flaps and
A pillar rattle
Rear carpet in cargo area not tucked up under side panel
Front pass. seat leather peeling
AND now MFT.
Still love my Ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is why I am certain that people who claim that their ipod experience with MFT is "great", have limited to no prior experience w/ these types of systems. The fact that the song resumes after a phone call is not something we should be thankful for. That's the least of the standard functions that ipod playback should have. I should be able to go directly back into the current playlist and browse smoothly as opposed to starting from scratc each time. I cannot emphasize how jaded i am because of this. I have such a huge problem with the ipod playback hat I haven't even gotten into the other issues I have with ths system. In hindsight, I wish I couldve leather seats w/o getting the sync system. I would've gone w/ an aftermarket unit and sacrificed use of the right cluster in exchange for a smoother interface. I also notice that the ford reps on this site usually have generic/non helpful responses to these outcries from loyal but jaded customers! :(
I’m sorry you’ve been having so many troubles with the playback with your iPod. I wanted to let you know that this is something I’ve been looking into and collaborating with the SYNC Support team with. So I can help to make your experience better, would you mind sending me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name?

Cory

Back