MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks!

Does it seem to make a difference between v2.7 and v2.8? (I have v2.7 and it seems sometimes my nav is VERY slow to start up -- @35 seconds or so).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it seem to make a difference between v2.7 and v2.8? (I have v2.7 and it seems sometimes my nav is VERY slow to start up -- @35 seconds or so).

Not sure what others are seeing with v2.8 but I timed it last night.

10-12 seconds to get the "Loading Navigation" completed.

Not sure what others are seeing with v2.8 but I timed it last night.

10-12 seconds to get the "Loading Navigation" completed.

That's what I'm getting... They updated me on the 9th. Not sure what version I have. Dealer says it's the latest. Sync says its still 2.4. Either way it's really fast, and very responsive now.

to be complacent with Ford's half-assed attempts to fix this flawed MFT system is a damn shame! The ipod playback alone is a deal breaker... lets say Im browsing a playlist (which already takes upwards of 10 secs to load them all) I choose a song and after its over if i want to choose another song (in the same playlist). instead of going right back into the recent playlist i have to go ALL the way back to Music/playlists/specific playlist and browse all over again. HORRIBLE!

Also... lets say again im browsing thru a playlist of lets say 200 songs... if i get a phone call (whether i answer it or not) i have to again begin from scratch witht he music/playlists/specific playlist. this is a nightmare...

from my experience w/ in dash nav/dvd/bluetooh/mp3 player units, they've all treated the ipod with special functionality where as MFT treats the ipod like any old USB storage device and thats a HUGE flaw. The ipod when connected should browse smoothly and quickly with the ability to navigate from various playlists in no time at all... Ford SERIOUSLY dropped the ball on this one and i pray every night for some genius out there to exploit some security flaw in the MFT system and perhaps develop a custom OS or rom that we could flash onto the hardware... it would be a dream come tru!

to be complacent with Ford's half-assed attempts to fix this flawed MFT system is a damn shame! The ipod playback alone is a deal breaker... lets say Im browsing a playlist (which already takes upwards of 10 secs to load them all) I choose a song and after its over if i want to choose another song (in the same playlist). instead of going right back into the recent playlist i have to go ALL the way back to Music/playlists/specific playlist and browse all over again. HORRIBLE!

Also... lets say again im browsing thru a playlist of lets say 200 songs... if i get a phone call (whether i answer it or not) i have to again begin from scratch witht he music/playlists/specific playlist. this is a nightmare...

from my experience w/ in dash nav/dvd/bluetooh/mp3 player units, they've all treated the ipod with special functionality where as MFT treats the ipod like any old USB storage device and thats a HUGE flaw. The ipod when connected should browse smoothly and quickly with the ability to navigate from various playlists in no time at all... Ford SERIOUSLY dropped the ball on this one and i pray every night for some genius out there to exploit some security flaw in the MFT system and perhaps develop a custom OS or rom that we could flash onto the hardware... it would be a dream come tru!

I agree. Very disappointed in the iPod playback. Very slow and clunky. Pretty happy with the rest of Sync/MFT, though.

Hey there,
I don't have an Ipod. I have a regular old cell phone, works like a charm. My sons phone also works like a charm. My USB sticks also work. Even after a phone call it goes right back to the song that was playing. Sorry your having trouble with yours. One thing I was interested in is if anyone has found a rocket stick that has worked yet?

from my experience w/ in dash nav/dvd/bluetooh/mp3 player units, they've all treated the ipod with special functionality where as MFT treats the ipod like any old USB storage device and thats a HUGE flaw.

You do realize that MFT is a Microsoft product, right? Why would Microsoft build in special functionality for an Apple product??

I had the same problem with my Droid. This is a known issue with the Droids since the BT cache in the phone retains certain info even if you power off/on the phone. You need to do a "clean pairing". To do this with a Droid you first need to find your Droid on Sync then delete it. Then you have to go into your BT setting in the phone, find SYNC and delete it...then turn your phone off & most important, REMOVE the BATTERY to clear the BT cache then reinstall & reboot phone. At this point everything is clean for pairing. When SYNC tells you to input the 4 digit PIN, or click on "special code" and type in 0000. I did my Droid this way and it syncs right up with no problems on phone or media. Good luck!

You do realize that MFT is a Microsoft product, right? Why would Microsoft build in special functionality for an Apple product??

I would hope that they would make sure their product works seamlessly with the most popular music player in history, the iPod. Microsoft and Apple are competitors but they have a working relationship and a vested interest to work with one another.

Not to mention that Fords reputation is on the line more than Microsofts so Ford should be overseeing this.

Because the iPod/iPhone is the most popular music player out there. The Zune and Windows phones are way behind Apple and Android, as far as sales.

If Microsoft was not going to have great compatibility with other manufacturer's products, maybe Ford should have thought this through a little more when they picked Microsoft.

Very few people are going to run out and change their phones and music players to Microsoft products.

this is why I am certain that people who claim that their ipod experience with MFT is "great", have limited to no prior experience w/ these types of systems. The fact that the song resumes after a phone call is not something we should be thankful for. That's the least of the standard functions that ipod playback should have. I should be able to go directly back into the current playlist and browse smoothly as opposed to starting from scratc each time. I cannot emphasize how jaded i am because of this. I have such a huge problem with the ipod playback hat I haven't even gotten into the other issues I have with ths system. In hindsight, I wish I couldve leather seats w/o getting the sync system. I would've gone w/ an aftermarket unit and sacrificed use of the right cluster in exchange for a smoother interface. I also notice that the ford reps on this site usually have generic/non helpful responses to these outcries from loyal but jaded customers! :(

this is why I am certain that people who claim that their ipod experience with MFT is "great", have limited to no prior experience w/ these types of systems. The fact that the song resumes after a phone call is not something we should be thankful for. That's the least of the standard functions that ipod playback should have. I should be able to go directly back into the current playlist and browse smoothly as opposed to starting from scratc each time. I cannot emphasize how jaded i am because of this. I have such a huge problem with the ipod playback hat I haven't even gotten into the other issues I have with ths system. In hindsight, I wish I couldve leather seats w/o getting the sync system. I would've gone w/ an aftermarket unit and sacrificed use of the right cluster in exchange for a smoother interface. I also notice that the ford reps on this site usually have generic/non helpful responses to these outcries from loyal but jaded customers! :(

Get over it man. Lots of people have different phones. Some work well with the system some don't. If you want to listen to music and not have to worry about all the crap your talking about. Go buy a lexar 8gb memory stick for 20 bucks. Works great. Use your phone for calling people. That's the problem now adays. How can you expect someone to put out an OS that is compatible with every phone IPOD and CRACKBERRY. OMG. Just kidding. I'd be pissed off if I were you. LOL.

**UPDATE!!!**

Well, this was short-lived happiness. MFT crashed on me. It's gone. Done. Buh-bye.

I was on my way to a lunch meeting and about three blocks before the restaurant, the nav told me to turn onto a blocked street. I kept going so it would recalculate. It recalculated and then crashed.

mft_02.jpg

I pressed the OK button, but it crashed again immediately. I tried to auto-park, but that crashed too. The rearview camera wouldn't work either. I had to parallel park manually. That was scary!!! LOL! No, seriously, I canceled the route as I was a block away from the restaurant (more on that here) and went to lunch.

When I got back in the car I let MFT load for a minute or two hoping it just needed to "ramp up" but nothing. It crashed again. And again, and again.

I have no nav, no bluetooth, no voice-command. It is also slower than molasses.

I tried ejecting the SD card but that didn't work. Also, I tried a master reset, which did nothing other than delete all of my preferences.

I ended up leaving the SD card out so at least I can listen to the radio. If I push the card in, the nav just keeps crashing over and over.

Off to the dealer on Monday. So much for "2.8 rocks!" ARGH!!!!

MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks!

Guess not...

We got 2.8 done yesterday, so far so good. It's actually amazing how much quicker it responds to the press of a button. Everything is so much quicker then with 2.7. I noticed when I hit the FM or Sirius button, it changes very quickly. The bottom left button where you hit for Sirius 1, 2 and 3.. well I used to hit it 2, 3, 4 times before it would actually change even though I heard the audible beep each time I pressed it. Now when I press it, it changes within 1/4 of a second. Granted it's only been 36 hours but so far it is far better then the 2.7 I had as far as responsiveness and speed.

Where is it written that these updates are free for a certain period? My dealer insists on a $70+ dollar install. Thanks in advance.

Where is it written that these updates are free for a certain period? My dealer insists on a $70+ dollar install. Thanks in advance.

TSB 11-04-18

Thats written on my dealer invoice for v2.8 upgrade no charge.

Call SYNC Tech Support Line

Yes, stange thing happened to my wife today. We were at the grocery store and she went in to buy something. I was in the passenger seat and turned the vehicle off. She had her key in her pocket and I had mine in my pocket. When she came back out, she touched the handle the doors unlocked and she got in. I had auxillary power on while she was in the store. She put her foot on the pedal and pushed the button....... it said no key detected. She did that three times each with a similar response. I told her to get out of the car shut the door and get back in. When she did that the car alarm went off. She got back in hit the panic button which turned the alarm off. She tried to start the vehicle again this time with success. Now, there were two keys in it when it said no key detected. I believe this is the start of more quirkiness from MFT. Will be contacting the dealer on Monday to give them a blast.... again. More to follow. Cheers.

Still works like a charm. Just this one weird incident. Fast still. Hmmmmmmm......

Well... it's back. It must have done one of those system reset thingy things on its own overnight but when I got in the car this morning everything came back up. I gave it a little while and then pushed the SD card back in; the nav came back to life.

I tested auto-park and navigating to an address (including recalculating) and everything seems to be OK. Response time is also back to normal.

The only thing going on is that it's back to the endless iPod indexing and subsequent building media commands. I went to a store that is an hour away today and it never stopped building media commands.

Another strange thing is that the master reset I did yesterday had wiped all of my personal preferences. They're all back. (radio presets, nav preferences, etc.). It's almost as if the system did one of those Windows System Restore where the OS goes back to it's last good known configuration.

hmmm.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well... it's back. It must have done one of those system reset thingy thing...... It's almost as if the system did one of those Windows System Restore where the OS goes back to it's last good known configuration.

hmmm.....

It is a Microsoft product.....:p:

Back