MFT Slower After Update? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT Slower After Update?

tiresmoke

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the MFT is running more slowly after the update? When I first updated the system, I had to re-pair my phone. Then when backing up, the camera froze on a pic of the rearview and stuck there becoming inoperable. After that, the nav screen didn't work (solid green screen), and that frozen rear camera pic became a distracting background for all the other screens. Fortunately, this fixed itself after being parked overnight.

However, now it seems like stuff if moving even more slowly than before. There are times when I press stuff on the screen and have to wait a couple of seconds for it to respond. I can often get a full phone number dialed before the first digit of the number pops up on the screen. The rear camera's picture is herky-jerky because of a terrible frame rate. And the nav seems to often clear the screen and "re-draw" itself frequently while driving.

I love the vehicle. I even love the way the MFT looks. But I hate the way it works (or doesn't work) at times. If I were Ford, I'd come up with an option to dumb it WAY down and make it less "pretty" and busy to the point where the hardware can keep up with the software. I'd gladly trade some of the bells and whistles to just get something that works fast and easily. When you're driving down the freeway at 70mph, you can't afford to look down at the screen for 5 or 6 seconds just to perform simple functions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine isn't slow at all. If nothing, a little quicker. I've got no issues with the speed of my MFT at this point.

Now if they could only fix the dang smell....

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the MFT is running more slowly after the update? When I first updated the system, I had to re-pair my phone. Then when backing up, the camera froze on a pic of the rearview and stuck there becoming inoperable. After that, the nav screen didn't work (solid green screen), and that frozen rear camera pic became a distracting background for all the other screens. Fortunately, this fixed itself after being parked overnight.

However, now it seems like stuff if moving even more slowly than before. There are times when I press stuff on the screen and have to wait a couple of seconds for it to respond. I can often get a full phone number dialed before the first digit of the number pops up on the screen. The rear camera's picture is herky-jerky because of a terrible frame rate. And the nav seems to often clear the screen and "re-draw" itself frequently while driving.

I love the vehicle. I even love the way the MFT looks. But I hate the way it works (or doesn't work) at times. If I were Ford, I'd come up with an option to dumb it WAY down and make it less "pretty" and busy to the point where the hardware can keep up with the software. I'd gladly trade some of the bells and whistles to just get something that works fast and easily. When you're driving down the freeway at 70mph, you can't afford to look down at the screen for 5 or 6 seconds just to perform simple functions.

How many contacts are in your phone? If there are a significant amount, i'd suggest turning the "automatic phonebook download" to off. That has caused problems with members in the past.

You could also try and reboot it and see if that clears it?

Mine isn't slow at all. If nothing, a little quicker. I've got no issues with the speed of my MFT at this point.

Now if they could only fix the dang smell....

Your MFT smells? Wow, that must be annoying ;)

I too have noticed it being a little snappier, mostly when it comes to button presses on the screen. Talking about button presses, my father-in-law just picked up a new Avalanche and it has their updated NAV screen. It is smaller than ours and lower resolution, but man, do they have the touch aspect nailed. You don't have to press nearly as hard as ours, it picks up the touch instantly, and can accept input very quickly. As I sat their playing with it, I lamented that touch part of MFT didn't work as well. Of course, the Chevy system couldn't do a lot of stuff that MFT does, but what it can do, it does very well. That is something that I think Ford is dropping the ball on. If you promise the world, you better be able to deliver. Having said all of that, boy, if Ford ever does get it right, MFT is going to completely rock. It rocks now, just not completely :)

Hi, tiresmoke!

This is not normal behavior. I suggest giving your dealer a shout to check it out. You can also try a Master Reset:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Rebecca

Hi, tiresmoke!

This is not normal behavior. I suggest giving your dealer a shout to check it out. You can also try a Master Reset:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Rebecca

Yeah... except going to the dealer is very difficult for me since I have a 6 month old baby at home. The idea of sitting and waiting with the baby while they look at it isn't appealing. The don't have free loaners and the shuttle is a no-go without a baby seat. I've got two window trim pieces that are waiting at the dealer to be installed under warranty and I have a hard time even getting there for that.

Back