Might be the end

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
SO I think I have come to the end of the BII
it was not a fun time with me my women, my two dogs, one a great dane, 3 days of camping gear, tool box, spare 33" tire, and highlift jack...
The tranny spat out all the tranny fluid and over heated, new that would happen sooner or later.
We got a 07 car today, and I will will be now driving the explorer.
Not sure what to do with the BII, might swap the lift from the BII to the ex. Just want to know if the lift leaf springs will fit the ex and if the 8.8 that is spring over will need to me moved out more to fit the ex?
still not a 100% doing this but need to figure it out sooner than later what I will drive...
any input would be nice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

and another thing I needed to know is if I was to use my lift springs in the back ontop of the 8.8 how much lift would I need to put in the front?

the leafsprings are 4" lift. so 4" ontop of the 8.8....

and another thing I needed to know is if I was to use my lift springs in the back ontop of the 8.8 how much lift would I need to put in the front?

the leafsprings are 4" lift. so 4" ontop of the 8.8....

Explorer spring over will get you around 4.5" of lift.

Sell me those front fenders while your at it!!:p:

bronco II leaf springs will fit an explorer as far as bolting in

they should be too soft for the heavy explorer however

converting your spring over 8.8 to fit the explorer requires you to remove your current spring over perches and weld on another set in the correct location. Shock mounts, etc will also need to be addressed if you cut them off

You would likely need 6-8" of lift up front to match this setup depending on how much the BII springs sag

I vote fix it or convert to 4.0L or 5 speed

Keep the Bronco. Use it for a build project.

bronco II leaf springs will fit an explorer as far as bolting in

they should be too soft for the heavy explorer however

converting your spring over 8.8 to fit the explorer requires you to remove your current spring over perches and weld on another set in the correct location. Shock mounts, etc will also need to be addressed if you cut them off

You would likely need 6-8" of lift up front to match this setup depending on how much the BII springs sag

I vote fix it or convert to 4.0L or 5 speed

They are not stock BII springs though, they are "lift" springs of some sort, so I am not 100% sure how much they will sag if at all..
I was thinking of swaping the tranny and 4.0L but I am still stuck with the no room part

Keep the Bronco. Use it for a build project.
I'm with rookieshooter.......Keep the BII....you'll need something to 'tinker with' sometime, won't ya'?.....build it for off-road use only, tow it with your X then ;) , what ya' think :) , hmmmm......

I was looking under the truck and noticed that the old spring mounts from the explorer where still on, and the new ones were in the same place.... I can notice a little bend in the leafts some times. You think that the 8.8 may have been set up for a soa on a ex not a BII? and of so should the explorer leafs just fit on the mounts without moving them

DSCF5551.jpg

DSCF5550.jpg

wow yeah your BII spring pads on top of th eaxle should be further out.
It does indeed look like that 8.8 was setup for a spring over with the factory explorer width spring perches........this would definatley cause the leafs on your BII to bow sideways a bit.....your spring perches are inward about 3" total (1.5 per side)

so IF I wanted to I could just put this 8.8 under the ex with out moving the perches... Now would this mean I would need to get the Drive shaft lengthened if I was to put this 8.8 under the ex?

Back