• Register Today It's free!

Milliage

rustbucketMI

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
It seems like a lot of people are putting 200k+ miles on their trucks. i only have 123K on mine. This thread is simply to satisfy my curosity about how many miles people are getting on their trucks and what the major issues were and when

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My previous 91 Explorer had 235k miles on it, I replaced the rad, water pump, fan and fan clutch, cleaned all the sensors. It ran like a champ, still does, but a buddy of mine ownes it now.
My current '92 has 96k on it, but I have already replaced all the usuals, intake gaskets, ujoints etc just for the heck of it. Hopefully it will last a couple hundred k more.
Both have rebuilt trannys, the 91 had the usual automatic failure, the 92 had the usual manual vent plug leak, owner didnt notice it till to late.

mine has 204k miles on it. its got a new rad, waterpump, fan clutch, and the motor needs a little work, sensors were replaced as needed, and a new transmission will soon be coming my way. besides that, regular maintenance and putting gas in the tank, i expect it to last for a while longer, too

277K on my '91.

New radiator at 200K
Third transmission on this "on the Road" car
Intake manifold gasket
two starters.
Manual Hubs after Auto failed.

I bought it with 183K on it

350k+ miles on our '92.

Replaced first a4ld at 180k I think.. since then we have replaced 2 others.. Now we have a 700r4 and have had it for about 60k miles.

I've replaced u-joints twice.
Fuel pump once
water pump once
Radiator twice (cracked both times)
multiple brake pads, I switched to ART front rotors somewhere around 160k-180k and am still on the same rotors (replaced pads many times since then)
Heads were replaced around 180k (cracked)..
Heads were pulled around 250k had a valve fixed (a spark plug broke and a piece was stuck between the valve and the seat)
lots of from wheel bearings and other normal things (headlight bulbs, batteries, etc)
xfercase chain broke at 285k miles
Thats all I can think of now.. other than things that we modified on the truck.

~Mark

I have a 94 with 182k on it. The float has sunk in the fuel tank so I need to replace the fuel pump sometime and thats the most major thing I've had happen.

320,000 miles

I think this is everything....
3 AL4D's
1 M5OD
3 Taillights
2 Transfer case
1 D44 axle joint
1 D44 outer axle shaft
1 Set of auto hubs
1 Manual hub
1 Rotor Cracked it somehow
1 Fuel Pump
1 Fuel Pump Float
1 Muffler
1 intake gasket
1 Grill
1 Front window
1 9" 3rd member (cracked the pinion support)
3 9" r&p
Several dents in the body....whoops

Edit: Oh and i have swapped to a lower mileage 4.0 at 319,000. Also 1 cracked 9" third member and three sets of gears in that axle before i found the crack.

everything's stock
only chagned air filter and oil
a/c doesn't work
transmission # 3
previous owner had bought it new, replaced the tranny at 120k, i replaced at 220k

currently running strong, just uses a bunch of oil

hopefully going to v8 conversion soon

Water pump, fuel pump and window motor gears are the only things not related to rocks or wrecks.

My parents 93 currently has 175k. Here is the extent to what has been done...

Driver door window motor
Clutch 140k
Intake Gasket 160k

Thats all. :D

367k miles....1radiator(myfault)valvecovers...R/A bushings and rear shackles were weak so I made new ones...oh yea 3 trannys....thats it...

My 94 has about 110,000 miles. Biggest issues were lower front end ball joints (90,000). Then front brakes after that. Minor electrical (window brain box in door kept my ds window down last year), rust at the rocker panels & now general groans & squeaks when I drive over speedbumps at work (at 30 MPH Heh)

Walter

At 227,000, the only major issues were really just the radius arm bushings at around 212,000 a few years back, the Manual Tranny had to be replaced/rebuilt at 215,000 (understandable as I learned to drive stick on that thing), and that minor battery/electrical issue a few weeks ago that turned out to be a faulty switch.

As for aging, my truck still looks new and is as peppy as ever. Actually, it's been quite impressive, it's still running on the platinum plugs it had since 93', just had the ORIGINAL PCV (and even that still looked rather clean for a 12 year old part) valve replaced and differential maintenance done about 6,000 miles back. No burning oil either, though I do get a few of the aforementioned characteristic "old truck"`(allbeit just barely audible) squeaks from the back, I consider that normal after having ridden in quite a few older trucks in my time.

clock spring, horn relay, front brake sensor, charcoal box and i see the clutch coming in the future...the mods are in my sig but those i wanted...

1993 with 179,456K

only thing that ever happened was the freeze plugs came out but it didn't destroy the engine. still running strong.

other than that just minor stuff like 4wd not working, and window motors not working. i'm looking to get a valve job soon.

i want to make it to at least 300K
when the engine goes i'll rebuild it and put it right back in

Back