Mirror upgrade 2003 Exporer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mirror upgrade 2003 Exporer Sport

Tbruz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Exporer Sport
Hello all,
Newbie here in NH and I just picked up a 2003 Explorer Sport with 80K miles; have worked thru a few minor issues(Melted Blower motor switch and resistor R&R along with locating the RAP code).
Thinking of a few upgrades...........Mirrors, console with temp/compass and sound system to mention a few.

This ride has Electric adjust Mirrors with Puddle lights; Can I upgrade to heated mirrors with Puddle lights? is the wiring already in the doors? Where is the mirror heat switch located on trucks with heated mirrors?
Thanks in advance
Tbruz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can only speak from what little experience I have with explorer mirrors. I wanted to put the mirrors with puddle lights from my '98 XLT on my '00 Sport which did not come with puddle lights. The plug was bigger in circumference on the puddle light mirrors containing more pins.. it was a no go, I suppose you'd have to replace the whole wiring harness for that side of things and for me that was a deal breaker. For now atleast. From what I've seen, ford doesn't have universal wiring for all the models, seems to be all option specific. If it works out, let us know :)

Where is the heat switch on Explorers with heated mirrors?
Thanks
Tbruz

Where is the heat switch on Explorers with heated mirrors?
Thanks
Tbruz

I'm pretty sure they just turn on with the defroster.

Hello all,
Newbie here in NH and I just picked up a 2003 Explorer Sport with 80K miles; have worked thru a few minor issues(Melted Blower motor switch and resistor R&R along with locating the RAP code).
Thinking of a few upgrades...........Mirrors, console with temp/compass and sound system to mention a few.

This ride has Electric adjust Mirrors with Puddle lights; Can I upgrade to heated mirrors with Puddle lights? is the wiring already in the doors? Where is the mirror heat switch located on trucks with heated mirrors?
Thanks in advance
Tbruz

The mirror heating comes from the defroster circuit, and you'd have to add that one wire.

Use only OEM mirrors, they adjust fully while some others don't have full range.

You just need to get the door side mirror wiring from a Limited etc, to match the connector and wires. The defroster switch triggers a relay for the hatch glass, I'd tap into the wire from that relay.

Back