• Register Today It's free!

Missing Front Shaft

tndempsey

Reaction score
City, State
North GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD
I just bought a 98 Mountaineer with 139,000mi. The vehicle is in great condition. The owner(previous owner) gave me pile of receipts mostly from a Ford dealership. I noticed one of the receipts was for a transmission and I was happy it was replaced about 5 years ago at 90k to the tune of 2k. I did look under the vehicle to make sure of no leaks and that was it. The previous owner lived in a monster $1mil neighborhood and knew not much about vehicles. I went visit a buddy who has a 97 mounty and come to find out the front driveshaft is MISSING!!! I called the owner and he had no idea(the guy was very nice and seemed to be sincere to offer his number with any questions), so either his son(the primary driver) had it taken off or he and I got F*ed by some shop. I have priced some front driveshafts and from what I read I may need a transfer case too??? The car drives great and has been taken care of(except for missing driveline parts) what should I do??? It did however have the engine under the hood...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took mine out two years ago because my T/C was fried. But it could have been just a u-joint that went bad on yours.Be sure to use parking brake on any incine as it will drift{roll very slowly} in park.

What Stucco said...it'll ride OK, but of course you've got a 2-wheeler, now.

Shop around and see if you can't find a front shaft at a junk yard. I can't see why you'd need a new TC box.

I had my front shaft rebuilt recently ($180 rebuild vs. $600 new). We just popped her right back in to the original case.

What Stucco said...it'll ride OK, but of course you've got a 2-wheeler, now.

Shop around and see if you can't find a front shaft at a junk yard. I can't see why you'd need a new TC box.

I had my front shaft rebuilt recently ($180 rebuild vs. $600 new). We just popped her right back in to the original case.

Napa new shaft is $300 here in MN.He would need a new TC if it was AWD and the fluid coupler went bad.:D

Thanks for the help guys, I will see what happens I am going to buy a shaft and see what happens in the future. I may try the 97's shaft out and see if the awd works alright. I don't know how long its been out, but this weekend I took it to Gatlingburg, TN about 350mi round trip and it drove like a champ. But I do hear you on the slow roll on an incline, about 2.5ft overnight (on a slight incline).

Back