Mobil 1? What type of oil do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mobil 1? What type of oil do you use?

I Can Defy

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ZX3
I have heard sooooo many things about which oils are good, which ones are bad, positives to synthetics, positives to conventionals...BLAH BLAH BLAH! :eek: I am currently using Quaker state from wal-mart, and was wondering if switching to Mobil 1 will benefit me. I've hard that synthetics offer better lubrication, and will increase MPG- but i've also heard they create more sludge and grime. What's your opinion and why?

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any of the name brand synthetics out on the market will be a good choice. Pick one that is easily available and at a good price. Mobil1 seems to be the most popular choice. You can get it at Walmart for a little over $4 a qt. Some other people may have different favorites but its merely a matter of opinion. I've used it and its a great product. Synthetics also have more cleaning agents to prevent sludge from building up. I haven't heard of synthetics creating more sludge. If you change all your fluids to synthetics you might see a small increase in gas mileage. Its worth it for the sole reason of increased protection. Synthetics are made to withstand higher and also lower temps that regular oils and tend not to break down as soon as regular oil.

RTStork is right. Let me give you a true story. I bought my 93 EB new and used 10-30W Motorcraft for the first 6K miles. That summer my wife and I were pulling our very large tent camper weighing over 3000lbs. to the Texas coast, about 1000 miles round trip, in 104 degree plus Texas heat with the A/C on. My 93 used about 3/4qt. of oil during that particular 3K mile oil change. I changed over to Mobil 1 10-30W, we drove to New Mexico, back to Central Texas and then made the same idenitical trip to the coast, same trailer and heat conditions. There was absolutely no oil compsumtion with Mobil 1. At over 112K, it still only uses less than a quart. between 4000 mile changes. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Good luck! Mike

I was using Mobil 1 before but because of the cost I decided to use the Quaker State Synthetic blend and I was been using this for 1 year. For some reason I decided to use Mobil 1 instead and for a year driving with synthetic blend, theres soooo much difference when I changed to Mobil 1. I drive 100 miles a day 5 time a week (every other week) with this driving routine, believe me, I noticed the difference with the traffic and highway driving combination. I promised my self to use Mobil 1 only.:hammer:

I use Valvoline Maxlife and my Ex has about 128k miles on it.

Nonoy: How do you like your Bilstein shocks for highway use? Are they harsh or give a comfortable highway ride? Thanks Mike

Nonoy: Pardon me. I must have gotten you confused with another post. Not sure if you have Bilsteins or not. Mike

Mike,

I never regret replacing my Monroe Sensatrack after a year. I you asked me about highway driving, I drive 100 miles a day, 5 times every other week to work in a New York highway. I noticed a lot of driving comfort and confidence. The monroe shocks I had was harse and stiff. I noticed every morning going to work, my tires feels like over-inflated even with a small bumps. Bottom line I love the Bilstein shocks!:) and wished I could have replaced that Monroe earlier.

Nonoy: Thanks for the information about your Bilsteins. I am seriously thinking of getting Bilsteins as I tow a light travel trailerand control is always important. We have a lot of long highways and high winds in parts of Texas. However comfort is important to me also. Thanks again. Mike

cool- thanks for all your input guys! next oil change will be mobil 1!

Eric

I'm switching to amsoil.

Back