Modified 2016 Police Interceptor Utility | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified 2016 Police Interceptor Utility

turbo2ltr If you have the Interceptor Utility and the "tabs" pull out of the grill, then the Whelen Micron will fit right in - Part # MCRNTR for red or MCRNTRB for blue. Or you can go with a split red - blue and that is MCRNTJ.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I signed up here, because I thought some would enjoy watching the progress of my companies 2016 Police Interceptor. This vehicle will be a Law Enforcement demonstration vehicle, which travels the area being shown to Police Agencies. It will of course have a ton of new police technology on board, but for the purpose of being here, it will also have all the fun stuff you all like. This will be an on going thread so check back for updates.

This is how it starts.... a relatively basic 2016 Police Interceptor Utility in grey with 18" alloys, and really tiny cop tires.

IMG_7832_zpsfj32qb9v.jpg

IMG_7831_zpshi8plynj.jpg

IMG_7833_zpsjk2zgsys.jpg

Stay tuned to follow the transformation, which will include; Black 22" TSW's, H&R Springs, and a boat load of police equipment and technology like a 12.1" in dash touch screen display and a host of LED warning and scene lighting.
I'm retired state of NJ are these new cop rides awd or fwd. and do they get out of there own way. I was disappoint when I test drove a sho/500 car with the v6. I live in Vegas now and the road is full of hemi powered Durangos. Those things fly, metro has explores done in black and white. The Durango hide in the crowd they have ghost lettering and the light bar is inside at the windshield line so it's non visible untill lite

turbo2ltr If you have the Interceptor Utility and the "tabs" pull out of the grill, then the Whelen Micron will fit right in - Part # MCRNTR for red or MCRNTRB for blue. Or you can go with a split red - blue and that is MCRNTJ.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm not LE, so no red/blue for me, will be doing amber/white which I see they have.

Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm not LE, so no red/blue for me, will be doing amber/white which I see they have.
Yes, we have Amber and White as well.

I'm retired state of NJ are these new cop rides awd or fwd. and do they get out of there own way. I was disappoint when I test drove a sho/500 car with the v6. I live in Vegas now and the road is full of hemi powered Durangos. Those things fly, metro has explores done in black and white. The Durango hide in the crowd they have ghost lettering and the light bar is inside at the windshield line so it's non visible untill lite

Ford only makes an All Wheel Drive Interceptor. They recently released the SSV Special Service Vehicle Sedan that can be purchased for University or Campus Police.

The Durango is a Special Service Vehicle its NOT pursuit rated.

Check out Michigan State Police Vehicle Testing or LASD Vehicle Testing. The results are published for public to see.

EcoBoost beats Hemi in every way.

They might be faster but stress it's like pushing 5 pounds of coffee in a 1 pound can. Something is going to happen . I drove a crown Vic and Chevy . Crown Vic was easy on the back but the Chevy handled better. When I retired I drove a sho/500 and was not impressed at one time cops could buy cop cars. Now you need dealer inside to get one. I don't like a floor shifter and wish they offered an option like in the old days

If you where to haul a trailer will the tire rub the inner fender? Looking to get this set up

So I didn't purchase the microns (too expensive). I bought some other brand that is actually a little smaller than the width of the microns as stated on Whelen's site, and they don't even come close to fitting. They are too long.

Whelen's site says the microns are 4-1/6" wide. The ones I got are 3.8" wide. Now that I broke off one of the tabs on the grill exposing the opening, I can see the opening on the grill is only 3.4" wide. I don't know if Whelen's info is wrong on their website or what. Not happy I spent money for overnight shipping so I could do this over the long weekend. Serves me right for not double checking.

I'm guessing the stud mount version is shorter and Whelen didn't bother to fully fill out the specs.

Another example of why it's best to let Ford's Chicago Mod Center install your lights.

Done correctly to Ford engineering specs.

Warranty for 3 years.

While that would be best, not really an option for someone that bought a used vehicle that lives 1400 miles away..and on a limited budget..

While that would be best, not really an option for someone that bought a used vehicle that lives 1400 miles away..and on a limited budget..

Did you look at the Sound Off lights that are designed for the 16/17 PIU front grill?

I looked up and down their website and catalog and don't see anything that would fit. They even have a catalog specifically for the PI, but nothing in there either.

I did see those but their website says the stud mount is over 4" long. The opening on the grill is about 3.25" so I doubt they will fit.

Update with a couple of photos. If anyone is interested in this wheel/offset combo, these shots should help. Notice the wheels pushed a bit further out than with the factory offset. To me it just looks a lot better.

IMG_8861_zpsjkeouojh.jpg

IMG_8862_zpstugxlu99.jpg

IMG_8864_zpssyrbbxtz.jpg
What size tire are those

IMG_7833_zpsjk2zgsys.jpg

I just took delivery of my new patrol vehicle and it looks like yours, except for the wheels. Since I work for a large agency, they have to order the basic wheels with the horrible hubcaps (the full plastic ones, not the small center caps). We can upgrade our wheels on our own, but most don't want to spend a lot of money of a vehicle that technically isn't theirs. Do you or anyone on the forum have any ideas on where to obtain those upgraded wheels for a really good price? Or if anyone knows of where to obtain any less-horrendous hubcaps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The steel wheel design came out of two things.

1. Brake heat dissipation

2. Curb strike test

After the CVPI the only way the engineers could get the brakes to pass the current Michigan State Police and LA Sheriff's Car Test (Oct 13th this year in Pomona) was to increase caliper swept area and wheel ventilation.

The plastic wheel cover (full) significantly reduces dissipation so you wont see those on any car test vehicles.

Since police wheels are a dead give away a few Fleet Managers asked for an aluminum alternative from the factory. The Police Program engineers were hesitant because aluminum wheels are not engineered for curb strikes nor do they dissipate the heat like the steel pursuit wheel.

If you get your Fleet Manager to contact his ford rep they may get you the factory aluminum wheels. It's my understanding any of the retail Explorer wheels will fit but you loose your "Pursuit Rating" in legal terms.

They don't advertise that because from a legal perspective they don't want you running a front line police vehicle with aluminum wheels.

Back