• Register Today It's free!

Money pit strikes again.

damienlike

Reaction score
City, State
sellersburg, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
So I did a search and came up with only a few threads, and no answers. This is what's going on now.

02 Explorer xlt, 4.0 engine (recently swapped for new timing cassettes), rebuilt transmission, new suspension, new wheels, new tires, and the rear end was rebuilt a couple of years ago. So yeah, I'm kinda into this one more than I want to be, or am going to be any further

It had been running fine, until two weeks ago. Started out running fine while doing some errands, but on the way home, it wouldn't rev past 3000 rpm, and would only go about 40 mph (and that was a struggle). The few minor hills that we had to climb proved to be an ever bigger struggle.

I have replaced the MAS, and cleaned the IAC sensor, but this has proven to be in vain. As stands right now, I don't trust it to drive far enough to get a code reader on it. I know that there have been other threads, but no direct answers. Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks,

Pat

So I did a search and came up with only a few threads, and no answers. This is what's going on now.

02 Explorer xlt, 4.0 engine (recently swapped for new timing cassettes), rebuilt transmission, new suspension, new wheels, new tires, and the rear end was rebuilt a couple of years ago. So yeah, I'm kinda into this one more than I want to be, or am going to be any further

It had been running fine, until two weeks ago. Started out running fine while doing some errands, but on the way home, it wouldn't rev past 3000 rpm, and would only go about 40 mph (and that was a struggle). The few minor hills that we had to climb proved to be an ever bigger struggle.

I have replaced the MAS, and cleaned the IAC sensor, but this has proven to be in vain. As stands right now, I don't trust it to drive far enough to get a code reader on it. I know that there have been other threads, but no direct answers. Does anybody have a clue?

Thanks,

Pat

The symptoms sound like it is in "Limp Mode", or "Forced Limited Power". Or, it is getting inadequate fuel pressure. Are any icons illuminating on the instrument panel? Generally, limp mode will not occur, without warning lights. Really need to check for codes, but first, if you can get hold of a fuel pressure gauge, check the fuel pressure. If low, replace fuel filter. Still low, look at fuel pressure regulator.

Back