MOOG replacement front swaybar bushing to frame BUY EM...read why | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MOOG replacement front swaybar bushing to frame BUY EM...read why

Sloalty

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt 4.0
Ok so i am sure many people have a lot of noise or squeeking come fron the front end. I know i did. It was the sway bar bushings attached to the frame. I got tired of spraying wd40 on em once a week so decided to fork out 17 bucks at advanced autoparts and bout the moog bushings. Went home and just un bolted one side at a time and replaced the bushings. Took about 10 minutes...you can do it while the vehicles is sitting just unbolt take off old bushing and install new one...there is a slit on the factory one and replacement so it just fits over the swaybar so no need to remove the hole bar. There is no pressure on your sway bar while the vehicle is sitting flat so no fear of anything flinging at you. Ok so i took it for a drive and obviously no more squeeking. Here is where it got even better, i drove and realized the vehile didnt roll as mmuch on turns and when ever i would hit a bump or pot hole the frotn end felt tighter if you know what i mean. Nothign rattled and the wheel didnt move in my hand like usual. I am assuming the old bushigns didnt hold the swaybar tight enough so it resonated movement throught he suspension and through the frame and eventually the steering wheel cause vibrations and noise. Now the new ones are so tight and firm once installed i guess no more movement. Also the car doesnt float when i go over bumps liek ti use too..similar to blown shocks but now i hit a dip and the front end settles quicker. Since i wasnt even looking for this to happen but did notice it the first drive i would say its a big differnece...well worht 17 bucks and 10 minutes to install. truck has 255,000 on it....so bushings were definately worn out now the front end feels like a new car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear you have improved the ride with such an easy repair. You have motivated me and I just picked up a set of the Moog bushings for 4.77 on amazon with free shipping.

I hope they get here by Saturday. :salute:

Glad to hear you have improved the ride with such an easy repair. You have motivated me and I just picked up a set of the Moog bushings for 4.77 on amazon with free shipping.

I hope they get here by Saturday. :salute:

make sure you get the right size there is like 5 or 6 different sizes for the different bar diamaters

Good point about the bar diameters! I did put the callipers to it before I ordered. :cool:

Back