More front end clunk - but I've replace almost everything! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More front end clunk - but I've replace almost everything!

cross6

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer
replaced*

Ok - clunk/snap ONLY when backing out and turning, like in a parking lot. It's an initial clunk, then a snap a few seconds later.

This weekend I replaced:

Both lower ball joints
both upper ball joints
inner tie rods
outter tie rods
bearings
rotors
brake pads
greased slide pins
sway bar end link bushings.

Checked rear end brakes and the parking brakes - all fine. Rear end was rebuilt recently and didn't phase the noise.

So after all of that work and an alignment - the noise is the EXACT same! argh!

Now I'm stumped. lol. I also got under the truck and looked at motor/trans mounts and u joints and all seemed tight.

I can feel the noises in the brake pedal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2wd, 4wd Awd?

If its 4WD, its normal. Its binding with the different speeds of the front vs rear wheels while turning.

If its 2wd... I got no idea...

2wd, 4wd Awd?

If its 4WD, its normal. Its binding with the different speeds of the front vs rear wheels while turning.

If its 2wd... I got no idea...

It's 2wd - and I'm totally stumped - lol.

CV joints??? I had an old front wheel car in reverse i would hear a click when turning. Had to replace the CV half shaft.

CV joints??? I had an old front wheel car in reverse i would hear a click when turning. Had to replace the CV half shaft.

I doubt it - it's a loud clunk you can feel - not a click.

plus there are no CV's in the front of a 2wd

Is it a limited slip differential? My LS binds up sometimes when I'm backing up and turn sharply like you describe. No every time though. What was replaced in yours when rebuilt?

Is it a limited slip differential? My LS binds up sometimes when I'm backing up and turn sharply like you describe. No every time though. What was replaced in yours when rebuilt?

My 04 will do this too sometimes.. but I know its with the rear. No snap sound up front or anything like that.

Hmm not sure if mine is a LS or open - I need to check the door jamb plate. Bearing in the diff was growling.

I'm pretty sure the noise is in the front because I feel it in the pedal/flooboard. I need to listen outside while someone else drives.

My 04 will do this too sometimes.. but I know its with the rear. No snap sound up front or anything like that.

When mine does this I would swear it is coming from the front somewhere. I have seen a TSB that indicates that it's not uncommon to think it's coming from the front when the clutch pack binds. I'll see if I can find the TSB...

Just checked my axle code -- 3.55 open.

So if I get in, put my left foot on the brake, and goose the gas with my right foot while in reverse, it makes the clunk when the truck tries to move.

wheel bearing and hub

you could all be wrong, it might be a motor mount or trans mount,, remember in reverse the forces are on the other side of the engine,, so the mount might be okay on the forward movement, but not on reverse,,
you have to put a bar in and pry on the mounts to check them, it's rubber it might look okay ,but be cracked,,

You could be right. Based on the sympton it sounded like a similar problem I had; it was the wheel bearing and hub. With foot slightly depressed on peddle and in reverse or drive I got more of a crack as oppose to a clunk when vehicle started to move in either direction. I mis-read the post, sorry.

I've had/have various 4x4 and the drive shaft splines can partially seize. There is one on front shaft to transfer case etc. Lubricate the splines and reinsert them. I have heard that that can be a problem because they cannot slide in and out as designed.

I've had/have various 4x4 and the drive shaft splines can partially seize. There is one on front shaft to transfer case etc. Lubricate the splines and reinsert them. I have heard that that can be a problem because they cannot slide in and out as designed.

That kind of makes sense to me.. if those splines are dry any lateral movement could make a pop or snap sound...good thought!

Back