More info on plastic injector tip... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More info on plastic injector tip...

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
OK...that plastic tip on my injector (which was very brittle) that broke off?

I found THIS..."The pintle cap is the plastic piece on the bottom of the injector. It protects the "business end" of the injector, holds the o-ring, and insulates the tip. Be careful not to damage them since they become brittle with age."

This is from witchhunter.com

Hmm...it doesn't say anything about manipulating the spray pattern of the injector.

I wonder what "insulating the tip" means.

I'm trying to find a definitive answer on this so future members know for certain if they really did something bad or not if their pintle caps break when removing their injectors.

I found 4.0 injectors online for between 50 and 70$. That's pretty typical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK...that plastic tip on my injector (which was very brittle) that broke off?

I found THIS..."The pintle cap is the plastic piece on the bottom of the injector. It protects the "business end" of the injector, holds the o-ring, and insulates the tip. Be careful not to damage them since they become brittle with age."

This is from witchhunter.com

Hmm...it doesn't say anything about manipulating the spray pattern of the injector.

I wonder what "insulating the tip" means.

I'm trying to find a definitive answer on this so future members know for certain if they really did something bad or not if their pintle caps break when removing their injectors.

I found 4.0 injectors online for between 50 and 70$. That's pretty typical.

Thats cheap where at?

Now from what i have been told by a mechanic friend those tips insulate the injector for HEAT and if to much heat gets there then the tip will be too hot and the PCM may miscalculate the amount of gas needed, not only that the tip may get too hot and stop working. This is if the CAP is not on it, he stated that if it came off then it was getting OLD as it usually takes a decent force to push them off, which you don't want to do so anyway.

Basically like some of us here mentioned and i always go buy if its broke FIX it or replace it and thats what i would have done right away, cause you and i know the work involved in taking that plenum and fuel rail off. The thing is it will be a little easier/faster this time round for you.

How is the truck running now?
Did you reset computer yet and drive it for 20 miles or so?

I also found this...

"The injectors are again flow tested for spray pattern and volume. These are the same injectors as seen before, but with the pintle cap removed .The cap is there for protecting the tip of the injector, it does not control the spray pattern. What a difference in the spray pattern from before. Some injectors are designed to spray in a fan pattern and others in a stream."

MAD, actually on advanceautoparts.com/...they carry like 3 different brands.

No, I'm actually going outside in about 5 minutes to do that...I have work at 10 so I want to make sure I can get there!!!

I also found this...

"The injectors are again flow tested for spray pattern and volume. These are the same injectors as seen before, but with the pintle cap removed .The cap is there for protecting the tip of the injector, it does not control the spray pattern. What a difference in the spray pattern from before. Some injectors are designed to spray in a fan pattern and others in a stream."

Thats true, but if the cap is Cracked the gas will spray from the side of it and or if the cap is loosened a gap between the CAP and O-Ring you could get gas past the cap onto the O-ring.

IF your truck is running fine if 1-2 days i would not worry about it as it takes a say or two for o-rings and gaskets to seal all up, but again check the torque again in 1-2 days.

Rest computer... :)

MAD, actually on advanceautoparts.com/...they carry like 3 different brands.

No, I'm actually going outside in about 5 minutes to do that...I have work at 10 so I want to make sure I can get there!!!

Ok i think you will get there.

Hmm 3 brands eh?

Well pick the best one.... :D

I must find a CDN place with cheap prices if i ever need to replace my injectors.

Actually after I posted that I was wondering if and doubting that there was advance auto in canada.

No advance auto in Canada.

Back