More Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

More Issues

That-Guy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
I was backing up to a trailer, when I put it in reverse it wouldn't engage. I has no resistance when shifting and is stuck in overdrive. I messed with the cable to get it started and parked it in the yard. I determined it is some form of bracket that goes around the steering column that rusted and finally broke. Can I replace just the bracket, or do I have to get a new steering column? Has anyone had this happen on any auto vehicle and where did you get the part?

Ok so I got a whole new steering column from a wrecked explorer (a 92 or 96, not sure which). It turns out the whole tube thing that turned was rotted not the bracket. After a few hours of bolting and wiring hell I got it together. Well somewhere along the line I broke a tiny little clip for the cable to shifting bracket connection. It connects like a trailer its a ball and a clip holds it on. It stays on a little but I can see it coming off a month from now. I went up to ford and they told me they couldn't sell me just the clip, and I had to buy the whole cable for $90!:mad: Does anyone know where I can get a clip or how to improvise one? I don't think a plastic tie will work.

Back