more lighting questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

more lighting questions

Well, I had some small Pilot driving lights inset into my grille. Of course when I installed them, I didn't think about having to replace the bulb. Well, I had to take them out of there (even though they looked really good). Now I have to mount them somewhere else. I don't have a grille guard, and don't necessarily want one. I was thinking either 1) mounted to the top of the bumper between the headlight and grille, or 2) mounted on the roof about 6" behind the windshield (like the ATeam van). The lights are about 3"highX3"deepX5"wide with an oval base (two mounting holes).

I'm leaning strongly towards the bumper. Is it ok to drill some holes into my bumper? Actually, I just had an idea: how about mounting them onto my roof rack bar? That is pretty no-risk (damage), the only thing being getting the wiring into the truck.

I don't really want to spend the money on new lights and/or a light bar. Though any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, I use the lights basically for second high beams. Light offroad use, but mainly dark country roads and to "signal" other drivers. I also use them as day-time lights.

Thank you very much!

I am pretty sure that I read it on this site somewhere, can't remember where, but the air bag sensors are not located in the bumper. They are not a sensor that gets hit to go off. They are like an inertia sensor that goes off when your speed is decreased at a very fast rate. This would protect you if say you hit a truck and it misses your bumper, but crumples your grill and hood. I also think the vehicle has to be moving at a certain speed for the to actually go off.

Well, the lights are on the bumper and everything works great! I didn't need to redo the wiring much, just reroute it. They look really good. I'll post some pics soon.

Airbags & lights

I too was concerned about that...my installation guide for my fog lights said specifically to disconnect the battery to avoid an accidental inflation of the airbag. IT didn't say where the sensors or whatever they are were, but it did say that they were impact sensors... in one of my previous posts someone told me they were deceleration sensors. Not real sure about it but hope it won't be a problem when I take my bumper off to straighten it. Also, I mounted my lights around my license plate and I didn't see a single wire or electronic component in that whole air dam area!

Glad you had luck with your project! Hope mine goes as well w/ the removal & reinstall.

Back