Most Flex possible | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Most Flex possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a good write up. Thank you a lot.

i bet that ranger rides like a caddy with those springs. does the explorer weigh any more upfront than a ranger like what he has.

i bet that ranger rides like a caddy with those springs. does the explorer weigh any more upfront than a ranger like what he has.

The up front weight is similar (a tad more) but the overall weight is more, which means that during a weight shifting event (downhill - braking) more weight will transfer to the front springs than it would in a Ranger vehicle.

I'm running front springs that are about that weight on my 'Sploder and it is soft - enough to be disconcerting to most others that drive the truck on the street. Of course, I'm also running sans anti-sway bars all around. My truck is "loose" enough to pick up the front end about a foot on take off and if you just drive it into a corner, it will let you know (you can tell by the scratched door handles :D ). I'm used to it and it is no big deal to me, but I know what it will do and what to do about it. I can easily, with one hand, rock my 'Sploder side-to-side about a foot.

It sure does work nice off-road though. A lot of the time, the only way I know that my truck is flexing out from bump stop to bump stop is a low groaning noise that I hear as it works. I'm just driving and drinking a coke, while I'm watching the Jeep dudes bang their heads off of their roll bars on the same obstacle. :p:

Here's another shot of my front end working.

Attachments

• Sploder on the Rocks snall.jpg
    Sploder on the Rocks snall.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 761

ah bump steer, I remember those days hahaha jsut kidding the Superlift kit does help quite a bit, at least in my experience, but its still no swing set.....

My BII has soft Skyjacker coils, stiff springs SUCK IMO.

I tried to think with my truck: wider is better, and lower center of gravity is better (less lift, more travel). In an already tippy BII I knew I wanted ALOT of articulation without alot of lift height.

I can lift my front inside tire pretty easily in the BII around a corner if I give it some gas, the wide and low stance grips really well and although there is alot of body roll, the tires are so big and wide it doesnt really seem to matter. That does not mean I cant get tippy on the trail or the street, it just takes some getting used to, and some shock tuning......... then you are off to the races and people will look at you like WTF? I think the nose of my truck will lift about 18" when I punch the gas, and under heavy braking the back will raise up at least a foot, it must look pretty damn amusing to other drivers :) Any trail rig with a soft suspension will handle this way. My truck has no sway bars either, it works awesome on the trail and rides way better then a BII was ever supossed to on the street. These are some of the reasons why I am keeping the TTB, not to say a solid axle cannot perform well, because it can, but because the ride with independant suspension is really nice and I like to be a bit different. As I said earlier even a TTB with 12" of travel or so will get you into some hairy places in a Ranger/Ex/or BII, it is usually plenty for most people. It gets a bad rep when it is not setup well, it is hard to keep aligned, the bump steer can cause some crazy driving habits, big tires take their toll on brakes, ball joints, bearings, u joints, etc so people often get fed up with the TTB and rip it out for a solid axle....but not everyone :)

the TTB is EASY to get alot of droop from, the hard part is getting more bump travel to help stretch its limitations, moving the coil bucket up a couple/few inches and running a much longer coil is a great idea, as are properly located bump stops.
I will likely go with a coil over up front on my BII next, it smooths out the TTB beam cycke even more by eliminating the seperate coil and shock connections to the beam/radius arm.
No matter what you bolt on under there or how much you trust the kit you have, the key is to cycle the beams, and carefully check the clearances of everything, you dont want the passenger side axleshaft hitting the beam, the hole in my passenger beam has been enlarged to about double its stock size. Check U joints, ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc look at your bump stop and the clearance from the beam to the frame and diff to the frame, can you move the bump stop up a bit? Then flex it all out and measure for shocks, dont assume the shocks that came with your kit or right for your truck, I mean they likely work fine, but every truck is different, believe me and the little things can make all the difference

What is the best way to relocate the coil bucket higher so I can get more flex and a longer shock. I've seen the james duff coil buckets and dual shock mounts, but im not sure if they really move the bucket any higher than stock. I'm also thinking about the james duff extended radius arms. What do you think? Do any companies make swaybar disconnects for my truck or will I have to fab up my own set? I think with the combination of these things I will be a lot better off than what I'm at now.

search for sway bar disco's, you can make them for like $5 ea at any good hardware store

Moving the bucket up requires custom fabrication, or purchase aftermarket buckets and weld them on at the desired height.

The Duff coil buckets are bolted to your frame at the stock height

Look at Autofab they make adjustable buckets and shock hoops, they get welded on

Alot of guys use custom or modified Ford buckets (like from an F-150) and F-250 style shock towers. You will have to figure out how to retain your new coil at the top, and mount it to the beam at the bottom (similar to that jeep coil thread) if you notice the TTB coils are not designed for a flat style coil bucket, an early bronco or Jeep coil would likely be used, you pick based on the spring rate (PSI), the unsprung length, and of course desired ride height. It can all get quite complicated :)
My Skyjacker coils are 350 PSI I believe and to me they work on the BII just right, nice and soft. The Superlift 5.5 coils are more like 450 PSI I believe, a bit too stiff for a Ranger/BII. desert guys will run 500-500 PSI coils to help absorb the bumps at higher speeds, where crawler rigs may want more like 300-350 psi for a nice soft flexy suspension. Too soft and the body will roll too easy, too stiff and the ride will suffer and the flex may be limited

sas is the best way i think the amount of money you can spend trying to do alll of this stuf just run a straight axle

Solid axles are NOT for everyone
Trucks use has EVERYTHING to do with your decision.
Solid axle is something to consider, but not for everyone.

A well setup TTB can perform in all sorts of conditions and keep up just fine with a solid axle rig on the trail

There are shops who already build radius arms and crossmembers for you, they run about $500,

glfredrick,

You say you are using Super Duty brake lines. What year are they and do they bolt right up without modification? How much longer are they?

Thanks
John

I know that this post was a while ago but do you still have those ttb arms?

Back