Most useful gauges?

Limited Ex

Elite Lurker
Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
I am going to put a tranny temp gauge and an air/fuel gauge in in the next month or so and will have room for one more. I was wondering what other gauges you guys have found to be the most useful. I was considering a voltmeter, but that is not a sure thing. What are your opinions?:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would deff. say oil pressure since our stock ones suck the big one.

In reality on a gas motor, the four most useful gauges are:

1) Oil Pressue
2) Water Temperature

3) Transmission temperature (if you have an auto).
4) Speedometer (if it is street driven)

When we build a buggy it will have #1-3 and that is all.

I remember reading a thread on here about installing an oil pressure gauge. But there is already a water temp sensor that can be tapped into to install a temp gauge, correct?

stock gages suck

I agree 100% with W/Cory

Volt gage is about useless

air fuel dont need unless you are boosted

If you disconnect the stock water temp and oil press gage so you can run real mechanical gages in their place you will still have the idiot lights from the computer (meaning if you lose oil pressure the oil light still works)

Mechanical gages will thread right into your engine manifolds and provide you with accurate real world information.....not watered down like the ford factory junk..

I have water temp, oil pressure, and tranny temp

stock tach and speedo (not for long)

i was thinkin about puttin in gauges also...where can you install like the sender lines at???
and also, couldnt you just tap in the lines for the voltmeter...i wouldnt mind havin both...of course, me...i like alot of options and gauges i want my dash to look like a freakin ****pit..

Originally posted by CoryL
In reality on a gas motor, the four most useful gauges are:
3) Transmission temperature (if you have an auto).
so a tranny temp guage is not needed for a manual transmission?

Which would you guys suggest, mechanical or electrical? Also, with the mechanical gauges, how do they install? Do they just replace what is already there?

Mechanical oil presure is the best. I personally do NOT recomend removing any stock sending units, they are there for a reason, leave them! You can install a mechanical oil presure guage by installing a T-fitting in to the hole for the stock oil pressure sending unit and running both the sending unit and feed line for the new guage off the T.

Back