Motorcraft oil shout out | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft oil shout out

I ended up changing my oil today with some mobile 1 and kn filter the chattering noise I was hearing at idle I could barely notice the sound than how it was before. Hopefully soon I'll get an engine for it I really like the truck here are some pics of it

4F7DE30A-2787-4277-87F6-678A2D5150E1.jpeg 9ADCBA17-961C-415D-A49F-F842DFF13F38.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Regarding Fram. I know that oil and air filters aren't the same, but I am judging the companies response to a problem. When our 2003 Mach 1 needed it's first air filter change I installed a Fram air filter. When I checked the filter after a few thousand miles I found that the plastic end cap had fallen off the filter which allowed unfiltered air to be drawn into the engine. The screen on the MAF was filled with bugs and other debris, it was not a fine screen by any measure, and any particles larger than the screen were sucked into the engine.

Fram had me send the filter back to them for inspection. They didn't even give me a credit for a new filter, let alone offer to have the engine checked out.
Never put a fram on anything you care about.

So here’s the long term report, not that anybody cares at this point, but it wasn’t the “butt dyno” as somebody predicted. We are routinely getting about 1mpg more since the oil change. We’ve fueled up probably 10 times since I started this thread…we do a lot of regular driving in our Explorer that is a mix of highway, rush hour traffic, in town and hilly terrain driving. A good mix. We used to consistently see average mpg of 17.8. It has been 18.8 for most of those fuel ups. It was 18.3 on the first one, 18.5 on the next, then 18.7, and it’s been 18.8 since. We need a bigger rig to tow our travel trailer. We are looking at an ‘08 Expedition Limited EL tomorrow. If we buy it, the first thing I’m doing is an oil change with the Motorcraft synthetic and a Motorcraft FL820 oil filter.

So here’s the long term report, not that anybody cares at this point, but it wasn’t the “butt dyno” as somebody predicted. We are routinely getting about 1mpg more since the oil change. We’ve fueled up probably 10 times since I started this thread…we do a lot of regular driving in our Explorer that is a mix of highway, rush hour traffic, in town and hilly terrain driving. A good mix. We used to consistently see average mpg of 17.8. It has been 18.8 for most of those fuel ups. It was 18.3 on the first one, 18.5 on the next, then 18.7, and it’s been 18.8 since. We need a bigger rig to tow our travel trailer. We are looking at an ‘08 Expedition Limited EL tomorrow. If we buy it, the first thing I’m doing is an oil change with the Motorcraft synthetic and a Motorcraft FL820 oil filter.
coolio!!! thats super interesting!! good to know! i wonder if it had something to do with the weights/filter flow etc... but oh well; glad to hear!

Planning a full synthetic oil change very soon for our new to us 05 explorer. Interestingly. I've been dumping either techron, sea foam or other injector cleaners into the tank every fill up for weeks. I don't think anyone bothered putting anything but the cheapest 87 octane in it for years but it starts right up, runs great and is up about 1 mpg since we got it. This is over the 2mpg increase I saw when I replaced a faulty EGR valve. Gonna keep it up until I finish all the other maintenance that's planned.

Planning a full synthetic oil change very soon for our new to us 05 explorer.

Enjoy your new leaks!

I would only use Castrol GTX 5W30 or Motorcraft 5W30. Both are Synthetic Blend.

It’s not gonna leak. I use nothing but full synthetics and have never had a vehicle that leaked oil, except my Subarus. That has nothing to do with oil. Be logical. There’s nothing special about a blend. If synthetics leaked the entire synthetic portion of your lame blend would leak out.

Enjoy your new leaks!

syn doesnt cause peaks anymore. the ingredient that used to in the first syns is long gone!

Enjoy your new leaks!

This is gonna trigger you: I'm planning to use walmart Super Tech full synthetic. :eek:

This is gonna trigger you: I'm planning to use walmart Super Tech full synthetic. :eek:
nothing wrong with it! most oils anyways are made by a few large manufacturers that labels are just slapped on anyways. as long as it is SL? or was it SN? then should be all good! imo, any commercially available full syn is fine, its more the filter imo! i usually use m1, but if something is on a good sale, then ill use that!

Excellent. I typically use mobile one. I’d totally use Walmart though. Actually I’ve been alternating t he mobile one with the valvoline platinum, but for no good reason.

nothing wrong with it! most oils anyways are made by a few large manufacturers that labels are just slapped on anyways. as long as it is SL? or was it SN? then should be all good! imo, any commercially available full syn is fine, its more the filter imo! i usually use m1, but if something is on a good sale, then ill use that!

yup. Walmart isn't going to put out oil that doesn't meet spec and open themselves to class action level lawsuits. It's coming from the same manufacturers. The motorcraft filters are excellent filters and the best value IMO. Just changing the oil and filter frequently will have a much bigger impact than the choice of oil/filter given they meet spec.

yup. Walmart isn't going to put out oil that doesn't meet spec and open themselves to class action level lawsuits. It's coming from the same manufacturers. The motorcraft filters are excellent filters and the best value IMO. Just changing the oil and filter frequently will have a much bigger impact than the choice of oil/filter given they meet spec.
^^^^^^^^^ this!!!!!! the most important things

1. weight
2. meets spec
3. full syn
4. good filter
5. change that stuff often

this is the tldr as i took it at least ;)

If the oil filter size bothers you, then that FL-820S should also. That's a small filter, made with the switch to metric threads, to replace the FL-1A most popular filter. There's a good chance an adapter can be found to make a bigger filter fit, depending on the space around the stock filter.

The 302 Explorers use that FL820S, and until the flu scare, Ford made an adapter which could be swapped with the stock block adapter, and take the FL1A filter. I gave that adapter but changing the block adapter is hell in the full engine bay. The later modular engines all use the metric filters and adapters. But there still might be a way to make a bigger filter fit. Best case would be to install a simple adapter that has just hose outlets, and route them to a remote mounted filter that is better and larger.

Always use synthetic oil, and Walmart is a great place to choose among a few of the top brands. Don't forget to change the air filter also, that is very important to the condition of the oil. A real dirty air filter can make the oil pitch black immediately after it's changed.

All I know is I had zero leaks when Castrol GTX was conventional then when they switched it to synthetic blend I started getting leaks.

It's not the synthetic itself that causes leaks. It's the switch over it seems.

Basically the sludge that builds up from lower quality oil, it builds up along the seals themselves, which kind of seals the wear gaps. The wear was there already, possibly from poor oil or long interval changes, and the better oil cleaned the area up and revealed the leak. That's not a good reason to use lesser oils.

early syns used to be absed on ester, and some seals are ester based, and ester can cause seal swelling when overused, so given that it would make the seal lose hardness and strength. imo, this is where that myth originated from. todays oils are much different than they used to be!!! however, don is also right in that syns typically have a better additive pack and can flush out the sludge covering the leak. imo, todays syns are impressively good, and are much better than conventional in wear protection, purity, additives etc. imo, cant go wrong w any big name syn today! please correct me if this is wrong ;)

btu in your case its likely it just removed the sludge and exposed the leak as don mentioned

imo, i think that the lifter quieting was less from a different oil (partly, but not much), but because HM oils have more detergents and probably flushed some debris out of the lifters, which was restricting flow (jmo) personally, im a M1 fan
High mileage oils contain seal conditioners and additives that cause o-rings, gaskets and seals to swell. In some cases, older valve-guide seals in engines may have reduced seepage. This can result in lower oil consumption. Many high mileage motor oils include detergents and claim they are are designed to remove sludge from engines. It worked, no more lifter noise and smoother startups.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back