mountain towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mountain towing

willfish02

Reaction score
City, State
highland,Il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
I planing to take a trip to Colorado from Illinois, and i would like to know if there is anything i need to know about towing in the mountains?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mate , Don't drive in overdrive and I'd put a extra cooler on the tranny Cheers

Keep it out of OD and get the fluid flushed before you go.

Install a tranny temp guage and keep a close watch on the temp., the Ex trannies are very unfriendly to high temps.
Ditto, ditto, ditto! A tempurature gauge will let you know when you are abusing it and allow you to pull over for a cool down period and keep you from burning up your transmission.

is the trany cooler for the 4x4 good enough or do i need to upgrade? I have a 02 4x4 sport trac

is the stock trany cooler good enough or do i need an upgrade? i have an 02 4x4 sport trac.

Being raised in the Rockies I can tell you the most important thing is to be overly cautious heading downhill. Braking is your most serious issue.

The Transmission is fairly obvious and having a guage for your temp is a good idea, but do not over estimate the grades. I have seen litteraly dozens of horrible accidents involving out-of-state drivers that were un-prepared for the long steep down-hill grades.

What are you towing? Does is have brakes?

I'm towing a 18 ft camping trailer with a gross weight of 2200 lbs., and yes it is equipped with electric brakes.

Be patient. Take your time. Don't ride the brakes. Use your engine to slow you down on long steep downhill grades.

Take those grades serious. Most fatal accidents are non residents.

Good luck!

I'm towing a 18 ft camping trailer with a gross weight of 2200 lbs., and yes it is equipped with electric brakes.
And you do have a brake controller installed already, right? :salute:

brake controller is installed. thanks for the advise. im leaving on Wednesday wish me an uneventful trip.

Back