• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer Bumper on X

hmn4389

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi Ive seen this discussed a couple times... But i have a 97 xlt and wanna know if i can put on a 99 mountaineer bumper. wut things would i need? i know i need the bumper cover, brackets, and fog lights. What are reinforcements?

thanks alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know about the bumper fitment, but the fog lights are difficult to find. They are available in the after market, but most are low quality. They can be bought on ebay but most salvage yards can source them for less than ebay prices. I can probably get my camera out and take some pictures for you if you want.

im pretty sure they fit because the frame rails of the second gen explorer and the mounty are the same. So just pull evreything attached to the frame reail that has anything to do with the bumper and bolt it on the ex.

o thanks those pix would be appreciated. but does the 97 bumper have the same reinforcement as the mounty? or am i gonna have to get EVERYTHING for it?

I hope you can see what you need in these pictures. These are from the passenger side. Let me know if you want different pics, but I need to know specifically what you want.
bumper_002_Medium_.jpg

bumper_001_Medium_.jpg

EDIT: The upper picture has my "bull bar" brackets in it, so disregard those bolts and that bracket.

thanks.. do you have any pics of the reinforcement at all?

4 - 3/4? bolts hold the front bumper on plus the wirering. Everything comes with it then and it will all bolt right up

Here it is the nut in the center of the picture is what holds the bumper on. I would assume there is one on the inner side of the frame as well. The bumper doesn't have any supports that tie in anywhere else. This is the best picture I could get.

bumper2_002_Medium_.jpg

thanks so much mountaineergree

hmn4389 said:
thanks so much mountaineergree

Does that help? Ive never had the front bumper off, so I may not be very helpful. Maybe someone who has could tell you. Try PM ing V8BoatBuilder, he has done lots of stuff to his mountaineer.

The bumpers in 95-01 will all swap. The inner bumper has to go with the outer skin. Meaning that all of the plastic covered versions must have the inner structure. The frame mounting is the same, the same four bolts and nuts. The fog light connectors will be different.

Many have swapped the various Mounty parts onto Explorers, check out E.......X.com, and search for 99SportX, he was about the first. He, Eric, is also here, hunt his gallery for his Sport with the Mounty front grille and bumper. Below is a 99 Limited back section. Regards,

Attachments

• 99Bumperinner001.JPG
    99Bumperinner001.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 186

Back