Mountaineer owners!..Need some advice! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mountaineer owners!..Need some advice!

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Premier
Hows it going guys?

I have a 2002 Mountaineer Premier dressed in all black.

I was thinking about changing the Brushed Aluminum look we have on the outside of our Mountys, from our roof racks, to our grill, all the way to out taillights where we have brushed aluminum trim on them.

I was thinking about changing all the Aluminum to Chrome, I found on e-bay where I can get chrome trim for the taillights, even a chrome grill for our Mountaineers, and the same for the roof racks.

Would changing the Brushed a aluminum to Chrome look stupid on the Mountaineers? Or should I just stick with the Mercury look of the Brushed aluminum?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would look classy. Go for it.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

alright, thanks for your opinions!

I think I'm gonna go that route and switch to the chrome, just crossing my fingers hoping its not going to look tacky on it.

I think it would look good, just don't over do it. Stick to what you are talking about.

I would black everything out personally.....chrome is overdone way too much. It gets tacky looking to me. But it's your ride....do what pleases you.

I would black everything out personally.....chrome is overdone way too much. It gets tacky looking to me. But it's your ride....do what pleases you.

+1

I personally think the black out is being over done now too. I did it back in 02 on my Mustang and now everybody and their brother is doing it. I've been tempted to change my Mustang becasue it's not unique an more.

If I do what I'm talking about with the Chrome, the outside would resemble the Lincoln Aviator.

do you guys think the Aviators look tacky how they come stock with the chrome like I'm wanting to do?

I think the Aviators look good except I don't care for any of the wheel options they come with and I hate that cream color that seems to be on 80% of them I see.

Black with chrome trim in the places where there is brushed Aluminum would look nice. Put some nice wheels on there, not huge like 20" or bigger, those look awful. A nice Chrome 17 or 18 would look good. Nothing too busy with 50bazillion spokes and 300gazillion rivets or anyting like that, they turn a nice ride into instant ghetto-mobile.

I agree with everything chriswells said. Keep the chrome understated and minimal. Adding chrome accents in every possible place does NOT translate to classy looks. And i also agree you should stay away from the blacked out look, that's way too overdone.

Would the brushed alloy stuff fit an explorer? If so, are you interested in selling it? Any idea what it would cost to send to Australia?

Would the brushed alloy stuff fit an explorer? If so, are you interested in selling it? Any idea what it would cost to send to Australia?

No, They will not fit the Explorer, just the roof racks would. The Mountaineers have a different girll then the Explorers, same with the tailight covers that are on the Mountaineers, they won't fit the Explorers.

The only thing like I said that will fit the Explorer are the roof racks, but mine are pretty much weathered out from our winter months here in Ohio, salt takes a toll on cars and trucks here.

Back