• Register Today It's free!

Mounting after market GPS antenna

Peanut74

Reaction score
City, State
Prattville, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT; 325,000 miles
I recently replaced the factory radio with a 2-DIN that had GPS. Rather than mounting the antenna outside the Ex on the roof I wanted to attach it to the mirror stem. I looked all over the internet but did not find anything I could purchase that would work.

The solution I came up with was courtesy of my grandson. He was sucking on a ring pop and the plastic ring part was just about the perfect size I needed. So when he finished it I cut off the little protrusion that held the candy off. I then put double side tape on the top and mounted the GPS antenna and presto I had solved my problem. The best part of all is that I can move or remove it any time I want to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently replaced the factory radio with a 2-DIN that had GPS. Rather than mounting the antenna outside the Ex on the roof I wanted to attach it to the mirror stem. I looked all over the internet but did not find anything I could purchase that would work.

The solution I came up with was courtesy of my grandson. He was sucking on a ring pop and the plastic ring part was just about the perfect size I needed. So when he finished it I cut off the little protrusion that held the candy off. I then put double side tape on the top and mounted the GPS antenna and presto I had solved my problem. The best part of all is that I can move or remove it any time I want to.

That is a really good idea, can you post some pictures?

I will take some pics tomorrow and see if I can get them uploaded.

you may not get the best signal that way. they say it should be placed on that little "metal" pad it comes with. i usually stick that to the dash and let the antenna stick to that.

Why not just stick it to the window like an alarm system antenna?

Well I took the pictures and have them on my desktop but I can't figure out how to upload them. Went to my "Control Panel" but there is no "Pictures & Albums" tab to create the album. If you PM me I will send them to you.

As far as why I did it this way is because here in Alabama broken windshield are the norm it seems. I did not want to stick to a wind shield that I will likely have to replace. Due to the way you remove an Ex windshield mounting it on the dash was not an option either.

Todate I have not had any issue with getting a good signal.

Back