MP3 wiring for 1997 premium audio with 6 disk | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MP3 wiring for 1997 premium audio with 6 disk

fetterjohn

Reaction score
City, State
Mission Viejo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Is there a way to add a headphone jack output to input into the stock head-unit on the 97 explorer? This unit has the 6 disk changer in the armrest. I want to be able to hook my MP3 player directly into the stereo without using an FM transmitter or doing too much to the stereo...

Thanks...

John

Not sure if you got your answer or figured it out, but here it is:

CD20CHANGER20PLUG2.jpg

Get 1 male to male rca cable, cut it in half
In the console, next to the cd changer
Cut 1&7, solder wire going to stereo (input) to red rca do same for wire coming from cd changer (output)

cut 2&8 do the same for the white rca

now you have an input to the stereo and an output from the cd changer, all in rcas

buy something like this:
49d4_1_b.jpg

connect the stereo input to the selector's output, you have 3 inputs, use 1 for the cd changer, now you have 2 left so all you do is hit the cd button and change the selector to whatever source you want (you still need to have cds on your changer as it will still be playing them, but the sound will be coming from another source), sorry I don't have any pics of the setup itself hope this helps enjoy :thumbsup:

Thank you very much. This looks great and not too difficult to do. I'll give it a shot.

John :)

Back